PCB (IC14) getting really hot

• Hi,

I got my OpenScope last week and I have not been able to connect to it.

I noticed the PCB getting extremely hot really fast around the IC14 component (next to the Jumper). I cannot touch it, that's how hot it gets.

On the IC14 there is a text: RFR 17-33. Looks like a power regulator.

I tried to connect using the following devices / OS / different USB cables and always get some sort of message like: "Unable to connect to device", “unable to communicate with device”, “Agent Could Not Connect To Device”

- Desktop running Windows 7(64), Chrome, Waveforms Live Version 1.0.6, Digilent agent 1.0.1

- iMac running OS X El Capitan, Safari, Waveforms Live Version 1.0.6, Digilent agent 0.3.6

- Laptop running Windows 10(64), Chrome, Waveforms Live Version 1.0.6, Digilent agent 1.0.1

- Laptop running Linux Mint, Chrome, Waveforms Live Version 1.0.6, Digilent agent build from source according to your manual

I am able to choose USB ports within the Waveformslive page for all tried OS. So within the “Device Manager” as you call it. (The name “Device Manager” got me a bit confused in the beginning, windows also has a device manager).

Within the Windows Device manager the USB port also shows.

The Linux agent that looks for a connected USB device confirms for a short period that a device is connected but then disconnects. Windows 10 gives me a sound when connecting / disconnecting the usb cable.

Personally I think my OpenScope is damaged / has a broken / shorted component.  

As I said the PCB (IC14 area) gets really hot (when the jumper JP3 is in the “prog” state) and I am a bit afraid to connect it to a long period of time to any of my computers thinking it will blow up my usb ports.

When connecting the OpenScope the LEDs LD5 and LD6 flash shortly, so some sort of power gets on the board.

I’ve also been reading other comments within the forum. Some sort of state change (boot mode?) using the “prog” and “reset” buttons has no response.

Please advise what else to troubleshoot. I could also measure some voltage / resistance if you give me some values. If we agree that my OpenScope is broken, how do I get a new one and get the old one to return to you?

Regards, Jasper (OpenScope backer)

Hey Jasper,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your OpenScope MZ.  Thanks doing so much troubleshooting, I agree that it sounds like you got a bad board.  You should get an email at the email address associated with your Digilent Forums account with RMA instructions shortly.   Feel free to post here or pm me if you have any questions about the process.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Hi,

I recieved my new OpenScope today (10th of july), after I got a defective circuit board.

Connected it to my laptop running Windows 10(64).
Everything worked right out of the box!
Watched all the youtube videos with no problems.
Great!

I understand thinks break, sometimes your out of luck and get a faulty product.
Just want to say that I thing you guys handled it very well.

Even the returning of the package with the old board was prearranged with labels for FedEx.
I managed to get FedEx to pick up the old one the same day.

Thanks!

Jasper

Hey Jasper,

Glad to hear that the new board is working, and thanks for sending the old one back.  We're eager to see what went wrong on the first board.

Let us know if you have any questions as you get started.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Archived