Unable to connect using Wifi

I can connect fine with my USB cable, but when I try to attach through the network it shows "No Response Received"  I also tried attaching from a different computer and still received "No Response"  

Currently it is showing as if it is connected to my WiFi network and it gives an IP address that is valid for my network, but when I look for the IP address with the 'FING' app on my phone it does not appear.

I tried unplugging from my computer and using a USB Charger to supply power, in case the WiFi and COM Port could not be used simultaneously.  There was no difference, Does not connect.  Shows "No Response Received"

My desire is to connect it to a circuit, and review the signals from another area on the network.   

Hey PaPaw_Geek,

I split this into a new thread to make it easier to follow.

It sounds like you were able to add the OpenScope MZ to WaveForms live when connected via USB using the Digilent Agent.  Is that correct?

• What operating system are you running on your computer?
  • Were you able to update the firmware on the OpenScope MZ successfully?
  • Were you able to calibrate the OpenScope MZ successfully?
  • Did you use WaveForms Live to scan for networks and enter your credentials, etc all without issue?
  • Can you ping the ip address associated with the OpenScope MZ?

Thanks!

-Kristoff

I moved your other (first) post here as well.

You cannot communicate with the OpenScope MZ over Wifi and COM at the same time, but you can have both connected.  

(Technically you could send commands over Wifi and COM an the OpenScope MZ would respond to both but they would likely conflict with one another and leave the device in a bad state).

It sounds like you were able to add the OpenScope MZ to WaveForms live when connected via USB using the Digilent Agent.  Is that correct?

Yes, I have no problem attaching with USB.

• What operating system are you running on your computer?  
    •  Windows 10
  • Were you able to update the firmware on the OpenScope MZ successfully?  
    • It appeared to update without a problem
  • Were you able to calibrate the OpenScope MZ successfully?  
    • Calibration worked, and I reviewed a waveform on my Computer Display
  • Did you use WaveForms Live to scan for networks and enter your credentials, etc all without issue?
    • When scanning it did show up some networks, but I entered in the information for my network because that WiFi is a hidden network.  In network settings it is showing WiFi Status as Connected, the Correct SSID is listed, and it shows a valid IP address for this network.    I have a few different apps on my Samsung phone that scans WiFi and none show this IP address.  The one I rely on the most is 'FING' , but none of them show the IP address for this device when they scan my hidden network
  • Can you ping the ip address associated with the OpenScope MZ?
    • Trying to ping this address confirms that the connection is not there.  I made three attempts, 4 pings each, always timed out.

I will try on my home network in a couple of hours and see if the issue is related to this hidden network.  Maybe see up a Raspberry Pi hotspot and see what that does.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Sounds good, let us know how that goes.  I would expect a hidden network to work fine.  If it was going to fail I would expect the failure when configuring the OpenScope MZ network settings.  The fact that it is getting an IP address sounds like everything went well.

-Kristoff

Everything went smooth on the home WiFi.  Downloaded and installed Diligent Agent, Launched WaveFormsLive, Configured the Wifi, connected immediately without any problems.  Went to a second computer on the same network and opened waveformslive.com and connected immediately.  I will try again tomorrow when I get into work

Sad to say, same problem as yesterday.  

It says it is connected and displays a valid IP address on the configuration, but I cannot connect to it through WiFI.

My WiFi scanner apps do not show that address being used.  

I tried forgetting the network and re-entered the information, but still not showing up beside under configuration.

I did see something strange, I forgot all saved networks, but my hidden network is still listed in "Network Setting" under configuration.

I did a release and shutdown Wave Forms Live, I did a relaunch and the hidden one still shows up.  

This is on a different computer than the one is was testing with yesterday.  I have tried connecting with one of the other networks, but when I go back to the configuration, the hidden one is showing under Network Settings, but not in the SAVED NETWORKS on WiFi setup.

I cleared every saved network.  released the device, closed Wave Forms Live, and removed power to device.  Five minutes later restored power, launched WFL,  connected to device and went to WiFi configurations.  Scan for wifi and select one I know the password for.  I enter the password, and select to connect, and close WiFi setup.  There is no SSID showing on the configuration screen.

I cleared every saved network.  released the device, removed the device. closed Wave Forms Live, and removed power to device   10 minutes passed and then I  restored power, wait 5 minutes for complete power up and then launched WFL,  connected to device and went to WiFi configurations.  Scan for wifi and select one I know the password for.  I enter the password, and select to connect, and close WiFi setup.  There is no SSID showing on the configuration screen.  I then go back to WiFi setup, enter in the information for my hidden network, select to connect, and exit WiFi setup.  The SSID shows and it list a valid IP address.  The Blue LED on the OpenScope MZ is on solid which I believe means I have WiFi connection, but nothing is showing on the scanner.  

I checked with IT and they said that they did not have port 80 blocked, but it is possible that the security settings for the ARUBA wifi routers might be interfering with the connection.  IT also stated that since it is a hidden network, packet broadcasting is blocked, by design.  

Still unsure of exactly what the issue is since I have connected (5) Raspberry Pis and (2) C.H.I.Ps all at the same time and could see everyone with the FING app, as well as SSH into each of them through Putty.  I also connected with a Linux Laptop to each while connected to all 7 devices with Putty.  

Oh, well.  I will use the USB at work and still be able to remote with WiFi at home.   Good news is that the device is functional.

One thing about connecting to WiFi is that WFL doesn't know when the OpenScope is done (working on changing this). So when you try to connect to a network, WFL makes sure the OpenScope responds to the connect command and then exits the loading screen. It will still take the OpenScope around 10 to 20 seconds after this to connect to the network (on average). If you want to update the information on the device configure page, just click the re-enumerate button and it will re-read all the information. 

We talked to the guy who wrote the firmware and unfortunately he says that hidden SSIDs do not work with the MRF Wifi radio we use on OpenScope MZ.

Thanks,

Dharsan

Yea, I'm happy we found the root cause but sorry that method of communication won't work for you.  I added this to the OpenScope MZ FAQ.  Thanks for helping troubleshoot this.  Hopefully other will benefit from your efforts.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Hello,

I have successfully connected OpenScope thru Win10 via USB and Hidden WiFi.

In the wifi setup, I enter the wifi SSID manually, this worked, but when I use Power banks or charger it cannot connect to the said wifi.

Then again, I connect it thru Win10 USB, USB if working fine but to connect to the hidden wifi, I would need to configure again and click the "saved" Hidden SSID and it would connect without problems.

Maybe there is/are some initialization problem during start-up when connecting thru hidden wifi.

---Victor

Archived