First Arty7 Project Program FPGA Failed

AeroDon

Question

Hi All,

I have been working through the Arty - Getting Started with Microblaze project in the resource folder with the Artix-7 FPGA Development Board. When I get to step 11.2 Program the FPGA I get the following message

Program FPGA failed

Reason: Could not find FPGA device on the board for connection 'Local'.

I have been stuck here for the last couple week and have tried several times to track down the connection issue. So far no luck.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Capture.JPG

4 answers to this question

Hi @AeroDon,

Welcome to the forums! Very sorry to hear that you are having an issue.   Are you powering it externally? Have you tried a different USB A to Micro-B Cable? Have you verified the USB A to Micro-B Cable works? Have you tried an external powered usb hub? When it is plugged in is the Red power LED LD11 on? If not, is J13 set to correspond to how you are powering it? What OS are you using? If windows did you make sure to click to install third party cable drivers? In linux you have to manually do it. here is a small tutorial on how to do this with out a full re-install. When you plug in the Arty, if you see the red power led ld11, what do you see in the device manager( please attach a screen shot).   I also moved your forum thread to a better section for FPGA questions/issues.

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon,

To answer your questions:

1)  Are you powering it externally? No. It is plugged into my laptop docking station USB port.

2) Have you tried a different USB A to Micro-B Cable? No.

3) Have you verified the USB A to Micro-B Cable works? The board is receiving power, LED 11 if on. Not sure if the comm is working.

4) Have you tried an external powered usb hub? No. I do not have one.

5) When it is plugged in is the Red power LED LD11 on? Yes.

6) What OS are you using? Windows 10.

7) If windows did you make sure to click to install third party cable drivers? I believe I did. Is there a way to verify the drivers are installed?

8) When you plug in the Arty, if you see the red power led ld11, what do you see in the device manager( please attach a screen shot)? Nothing appears to happen when I plug in the board in the device manager.

Thanks for the help so far!

Don

Capture.JPG

HI @AeroDon,

Not all usb cables have both the power and data connected so you could see power but not be able to program. The cable could also have issues. I would suggest to try other usb cables if you have them available. I am using Windows 7 and I have attached a screen shot of the device manager and the items that will appear when it is connected. Under Ports you will see 1 com port other than Com 1 as shown (you can also change the setting so that com 1 does not show as well). It will also have 2 items show up in the Universal Serial Bus controllers. Please attached a screen shot of your device manager with the ports and Universal serial bus controllers open. If you there is a com port showing for the arty then you might not have installed the cable drivers which is described how to do this here.

cheers,

Jon

arty_no_connection.jpg

Hi @jpeyron

It looks like I had a power only cable. I swapped it out with a cable that is know to have the communications signals and my computer loaded the USB drivers. I now have a Digilent USB Device connected and my Device Manager matches your screen shot. See attached.

Thanks for the help so far!

Don

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Archived