how can i convert a axi lite transactionto a axi full transaction ??

sandy3129

Question

hello friends, how can i create a axi lite transaction to a axi full transaction , my slave transaction should be axi lite and my master transaction is axi full , i have created a peripheral in vivado in which my slave peripheral is axi lite and my master transaction is axi full, but when i port map, slave peripherals to master peripherals my addr bus of the slave peripheral is 4 bit and my master bus is of 32 bit bus. so im not able to port map it and create the exact transaction which i wanted kindly help ?? is there any other way?

2 answers to this question

@sandy3129,

If all your problem is that the master bus has 32 bits and the slave bus has 4 bits, then the problem has nothing to do with AXI lite vs full AXI, and it is easily solved.  Just throw away the other bits.  The slave only needs to have enough bits to process the logic within the slave.

AXI Full has much more capability than just having 32-bits of an interface.  As I recall from the top of my head (I'd need to pull up the spec to be certain) the AXI full interface requires that slaves understand requests to read and write blocks of data, with incrementing or non-incrementing addresses and more, whereas an AXI lite peripheral only needs to be able to handle one transaction at a time.

Because of the complexity of the full AXI protocol, I would recommend you stick with AXI lite as long as you can.  Most home-made peripherals, to include the ones I've built, don't need the full AXI protocol.

Oh, and the number of address lines is not the difference between the two protocols.  If the slave only has 2^N addresses within it (each a bus in width), then it should only need N address lines and the others don't need to be connected.  Just be aware of which line is the "lowest" one--there's a trick or two there.

Dan

So when i have create a peripheral in vivado in which my slave peripheral is axi lite and my master transaction is axi full, i can connect all the input port of slave peripherals connected to the master output, and only the output pins of the slave need to be connected by the master input??   i.e only for all the slave ports of the below figure.

slave and master.jpg

Archived