Timer on bare metal app

mihai5

Question

Hi,

I want to measure elapsed time in a bare-metal application on the Xilinx Zynq SoC(zedboard).

I included "xtime_l.h" and used XTime_GetTime(&tStart) and XTime_GetTime(&tEnd) to populate tStart and tEnd.

The difference tEnd – tStart always gives me 0 for whatever instructions I put between XTime_GetTime(&tStart) and XTime_GetTime(&tEnd).

Instructions between XTime_GetTime(&tStart) and XTime_GetTime(&tEnd) that I put are:
————————————-

XTime_GetTime(&tStart);
print(“Hello World\n\r”);
for(int i=0;i< 1000 ;i++)
{
sum += i;
}
Xil_Out32(0x43c00000, 0x5);
Xil_Out32(0x7aa00000, 0x5555);
NumberOfPattern = Xil_In32(0x43c00004);

XTime_GetTime(&tEnd)
————————————-

I need to mention that i did not configure the PL part to include an axi_timer IP. I did not do this because, as i read, this uses the global timer in the zynq Soc whose counter increases every two clock cycles.

Can someone to show me where is the mistake and give me some advices?

2 answers to this question

Hi @mihai5

It is not clear what period of time do you want to measure.

For short periods I had used ARM private timer described in the  Lab 6 of Avnet training materials It does not need configuration in Vivado.

For measurements long period of time with 1 sec accuracy I used Pmod RTCC - real time clock. It was easy to add to the project. The only problem I had was synchonization of time with the computer. This procedure requires a special application passing network time to the RTCC registers.

Good luck!

@mihai5

I wanted to mention that for using XTime you might need to add to your code

#include "platform.h"  and two statements in the main():

init_platform();

cleanup_platform();

Also in order to get time you can't use xil_printf because it doesn't work on long float type, use

XTime_GetTime(&time); 

printf("t=%15.5lf sec\n",(long double)(time *2)/(long double)XPAR_PS7_CORTEXA9_0_CPU_CLK_FREQ_HZ);

Archived