bug: scope time position auto shifting

holla2040

Question

I'm running waveforms 2015 3.5.4 and got a bug/request. When changing the timebase, the position should not change. When I use the scroll the wheel or the timebase pop-up the actual position of the trigger point moves around in the scope graph window, this is very frustrating. Once you set the trigger x position, it should never move. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hi @holla2040

To change the time base through 1,2,5 values, move the mouse cursor over the time base combo and use scroll, similar to bench scope dials.

In case you have a large amount of information on the plot, you can use the scroll on this for easy zooming on the interesting area.

Hi @holla2040,

Do you mean that in the time base drop down the position in the window changes when you use the mouse to change the base div? I attached a screen shot. If you manually change by selecting it does not change the position in the window if you have not used the scroll wheel on the mouse. I am tagging the engineer that will be able to give you the best response( @attila).  Could you also clarify what you mean by the trigger x position?

cheers,

JOn

ad2_trigger.jpg

Sure, here's 2 screenshots. before scroll shows the 'trigger x' position at the first vertical line from left (white arrow pointing down), time position at 8uS. Scrolled the wheel, after scroll shot shows the new trigger x position is between the second and third vertical lines, at 10.485uS.  Also the after scrolls shows a fractional timebase of 3.84us/div and the x-axis tick mark labels now require a calculator to estimate event spacing (yes, I know about the cursors). Scrolling with the thumbwheel should just pick from the menu items, not this tiny fractional increments. 

BTW, my first scope was a Tek535 in the late 70s and have used various scopes since. Waveform's scope is powerful but not scope friendly at all. The UI needs to be redesigned by an analog engineer, then coded by programmer. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

before scroll.png

after scroll.png

Hi @holla2040

Mouse scroll on the time base combo box changes this value by selecting another value from the drop list, 1us/div, 2us/div, 5us/div...
The change from one value to another is not direct but gradual. You can select the speed of animation or disable it under Settings/Options/Animation.

Scroll on the plot area or horizontal scale performs zoom in/out having in focus the pointer position. This changes the time position and base in such a way to keep the position under the pointer fixed.
Having the shift key pressed slows down and the ctrl key speeds up the zoom. The alt key changes the scroll function from zoom to position change.

Could you tell us what are the things you would like to have differently?

Attila,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the tips. I'll try out the shift and ctrl zooming and animation disabling as you mentioned. I'll see if I can zoom without moving the trigger point. I've worked with linux waveforms for hours in past couple weeks and will get back with more specific suggestion towards faster user interface.

Oh, one quick thing that won't impact screen optimization much is adding scaling label for both channel 1 and 2 simultanously, I know you can switch the yaxis labels by clicking on a trace. Most of the time your comparing wave 1 to wave 2 and need to see both scales at the same

Thanks again for answering here. 

Craig

Attila,

I'm sitting now in front of win7 waveforms. shift and ctrl zoom modifiers do have an effect but all three move the trigger position, not desired. When I set the trigger/horizontal position, it should stick regardless of timebase value like a scope. Neither of these modifiers step through the pop up menu selection. Does someone actually want a timebase of 348ms/div? If so, let them type it in. The alt modifier quickly will move the horizontal position back to its location, so that's nice.

All this gripping applies to y axis mods as well. Do people actually want 366mV/div? if so, they should type it in. vertical zooming should also pick from popup menu defaults, the 1, 2, 5, 10 type of thing. This zoom should also not modify the offset value, like a scope. 

Sorry to be a pain.

Craig

ps. have you considered remote control of waveforms using an arduino or equivalent using optical encoded pots? You could load a serial module at start up and receive remote control commands, network commands would better actually. then user interfaces could use an esp8266, that would be killer. 

Archived