Discovery2 Setup

Mark1000

Question

Has anyone else tried to follow the steps on the Digilent Website after down loading the drivers for their Discovery2 and the Device not showing up in the Device Manger Window?

I have Windows10.  Can NOT connect to network so I downloaded the digilent.waveforms_v3.5.4.exe from here:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/waveforms/waveforms-3/start?redirect=1

to my hard drive then copy to CD. 

Then followed the directions to Install the waveforms.  No problem.

Then followed the steps for "Take a measurement".  My device in Step 3 of Take a Measurement" does NOT show up.  Tried rebooting..reinstalling and the same thing.  Other discussion forums say something about missing C++..missing other files. 

Has anyone else seen this and resolved it??  I have 12 units I can't use.

Thank-you..

5 answers to this question

Hi @Mark1000

Does WaveForms application start ? 
If yes, the MS-VC-RT dependencies are installed.

Do you see any device in WaveForms Setting/Device Manager ?

i1.png.2abf03795aea7cece01eafd9fa2b4d80.png

Does any device show up under "My device is not listed" after pressing "Find Devices" ?

i2.png.d3c292d0d125d148837be041438851a1.png

Does "USB Serial Converter" show up in Windows Device Manager ?
Does it have any warning sign or does it show "This device is working properly." under Properties/General tab ?
If you leave it connected for a minute, does any other device like "unknown device" show up ?

i3.png.260b5b5cc8870eafd85cb52dd7ed24f3.png

Did you have any errors during install ? like USB driver installation failed ?
The latest USB driver normally should be installed by Windows Update.
The earlier mentioned "MS Visual C++ 2008 (9.0 runtime) not installed" was not an error just a confirmation to download and install it form the internet

22 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Mark1000

Does WaveForms application start ? 
If yes, the MS-VC-RT dependencies are installed.

Do you see any device in WaveForms Setting/Device Manager ?

My responses are in bold below each question..Again, I am using Windows 10 right out of the box and do NOT have an internet connections.

Yes, waveforms start..  My device does not show up in "Device Manager".

i1.png.2abf03795aea7cece01eafd9fa2b4d80.png

Does any device show up under "My device is not listed" after pressing "Find Devices" ?

in your window 5 below my device does not show up after hitting "Find Devices"

i2.png.d3c292d0d125d148837be041438851a1.png

Does "USB Serial Converter" show up in Windows Device Manager ?
Does it have any warning sign or does it show "This device is working properly." under Properties/General tab ?
If you leave it connected for a minute, does any other device like "unknown device" show up ?

"USB Serial Converter" shows up with a yellow exclamation mark.  The error says "Windows cannot load the device driver...."  The device was not designed to run on windows.."

i3.png.260b5b5cc8870eafd85cb52dd7ed24f3.png

Did you have any errors during install ? like USB driver installation failed ?
The latest USB driver normally should be installed by Windows Update.
The earlier mentioned "MS Visual C++ 2008 (9.0 runtime) not installed" was not an error just a confirmation to download and install it form the internet

I did not get any errors during instalaation.

Hi @Mark1000

I'm not sure what could be wrong there.

The easiest solution would be connecting your laptop to internet and letting Windows update to install the driver.

You can try installing the following latest FTDI driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21226_Setup.zip 

In case this you still see the exclamation try uninstalling the existing driver, see:

On 6/22/2017 at 8:39 AM, attila said:

Hi @Mark1000

I'm not sure what could be wrong there.

The easiest solution would be connecting your laptop to internet and letting Windows update to install the driver.

You can try installing the following latest FTDI driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21226_Setup.zip 

So between all the post installing the Waveforms 2015, the Engines and the above link (installing the following latest FTDI driver) we finally got it working.  Thank-you everyone that contributed to this effort.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:39 AM, attila said:

In case this you still see the exclamation try uninstalling the existing driver, see:

Archived