Composite Video Pmod

Robert Finch

Question

Does anyone know of a small board available to interface to composite video ? High resolution is not required, but a small signal count would be good. I'm thinking of a small Pmod-like board that has a colorburst filter, 3 bit dac (so there are four input signals total) and maybe a couple of output transistors.

2 answers to this question

In the past I made composite interface cable using a four bit r-dac and an RCA jack. It worked okay, but wasn’t quite good enough to get a stable colour picture (It needed a colour burst filter). Pmod VGA looks interesting but I don’t want to use any more than a single six pin Pmod port for the display. I was going to concoct my own board to interface to VGA using a single six pin Pmod port, by using a high speed serial (8x) to parallel converter on the board. The serial to parallel would be fed two bits at a time at 100MHz, for 16 bits available in parallel at 12.5 MHz rate. Good enough for a 320x400 VGA display. (8 bits at 50MHz would be okay too). I suppose I could use a second FPGA board with a VGA port and connect it via high-speed connection. (I'd rather shell out the money for a second FPGA board than a display port cable for the Nexys Video).

Archived