Discovery2 not recognized in Step 3..Take Measurement

Mark1000

Question

Down loaded all the drivers.  Followed directions here:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/instrumentation/tutorials/analog-discovery-2-getting-started-windows/start

My device does NOT show up in device drivers.  Tried external powered hub.  That didn't work.  One thing.  I had to dowwnload driver to disk because I cannot hook my PC up to the internet if that makes a difference.  This is not as easy as everyone makes it sound.

Also got an error say MS Visual C++ 2008 (9.0 runtime) not installed. Do you want to install ? selected yes Same prompt came up...Still didn't fix it.

Can this device be used if there isn't any internet access?

6 answers to this question

Hi @Mark1000,

Yes, the device can be used without internet but after you download and install the drivers and a version of waveforms. It seems that you have an issue with the driver installation. @attila, do what do you think? I believe that is a bit harder to install the correct drivers offline. When you plug the device in, it should be looking for drivers and install them, but you need an internet connection for that step. You need to have MS Visual C++ 2008 also installed. 

Best regards,

Bianca

Hi @Mark1000

The WaveFroms 2015 (v3) Windows installer can be launched in silent mode from command prompt or batch script:
> digilent.waveforms_v3.5.4.exe /S /AllUsers

In order to use the local version of the requirements, have these setups in a directory named "Kit" next to the installer. 
You can also install these before installing WaveForms, but a restart is required in between.

- WindowsInstaller (this is only needed for Windows XP without SP)
file: WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/4/7/147ded26-931c-4daf-9095-ec7baf996f46/WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

- VC runtime 9 (2008) x86 SP1 + MFC update (needed by Adept Runtime and custom DWF SDK applications)
file: vcredist_x86.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&srcfamilyid=a821847e-4c44-45c0-9128-61c822bb3280&srcdisplaylang=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f5%2fD%2f8%2f5D8C65CB-C849-4025-8E95-C3966CAFD8AE%2fvcredist_x86.exe

On 64 bit Windows the following are also needed:
- VC runtime 9 (2008) x64 SP1 + MFC update (needed by Adept Runtime and custom DWF SDK applications)
file: vcredist_x64.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&srcfamilyid=a821847e-4c44-45c0-9128-61c822bb3280&srcdisplaylang=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f5%2fD%2f8%2f5D8C65CB-C849-4025-8E95-C3966CAFD8AE%2fvcredist_x64.exe

- VC runtime 12 (2013) x64 (needed by WaveForms application)
file: vcredist12_x64.exe
https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/6/2E61CFA4-993B-4DD4-91DA-3737CD5CD6E3/vcredist_x64.exe

Command line argument:
/S
- Silent mode installation without GUI. The driver installation might ask for allowance.
/CurrentUser|AllUsers
- Create shortcuts for current user or for all users. Only available on first install, when no other Digilent Software is installed.
/QuickLaunch
- Create Quick Launch shortcut only for Windows XP.
/LogFile="log file"
- The installer will append the installation log file to this. The log file must exist.
/Architecture32
- Force to install 32bit version of WaveForms application on 64bit systems.
/D=path to install
- Install directory. It must be the last parameter used in the command line and must not contain any quotes, even if the path contains spaces. Only absolute paths are supported.

Attila..So I thought I was somewhat computer savvy..why does it have to be installed in "silent" mode.  That to me just says the installer ..me..isn't prompted for any info.  I followed the directions on the website to do an installation.  Didn't see that..silent mode.  I did neglect to say I was using Windows10.

The links you provided are both to the same files:

On 64 bit Windows the following are also needed:
- VC runtime 9 (2008) x64 SP1 + MFC update (needed by Adept Runtime and custom DWF SDK applications)
file: vcredist_x64.exe

VC runtime 12 (2013) x64 (needed by WaveForms application)
file: vcredist12_x64.exe

I have no idea what: have these setups in a directory named "Kit" next to the installer ..I don't know what "next to the installer" means.  Do you mean create a directory..named KIT ?

Bianca said: You need to have MS Visual C++ 2008 also installed.  Isn't there a charge for MS C++??

Am I the only one setting up the Discovery2 offline AND having trouble?? 

Maybe provide a link for people that have standalone PCs..no internet connection.

That is the most vaguely answered question on a discussion forum I have ever seen.  I guess you should included a link to buy a secret decoder ring.  We have 12 of these Discovery2 Units and can't get a single one working.  This is very frustrating seeing how I followed the sets on your website..asked questions and it still doesn't work.

Hi @Mark1000,

I'm no Windows Driver/ WaveForms expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll see if I can do some 'translating' since I've at least been on the Forum for a long while.

I think that what @attila was presuming was that since your PC was standalone without internet that there would be some additional requirements to go along with that so the silent mode instructions (which do exactly as you presumed, install without any extra input on your part). 

Yes, the "Kit" should just be a folder that is on the same level/in the same file folder as the WaveForms 2015 executable. (sorry, I don't know the actual technical terms so I'm using generic ones). My guess is that the WaveForms 2015 executable is designed to look into this folder for the various other drivers that Attila mentioned. 

Again, I'm no expert, but it looks like vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist12_x64.exe are different (at least one as a 12 in it)? Or at least I'm guessing they are designed to do slightly different things and are what would need to go into the Kit folder.

I don't think there's a charge for MS Visual C++. There definitely is for Visual Studio, but not for this library thing (or whatever it is).

My understanding at the end is that you can simply just "double-click" on all of these various executables and get them installed. You'll probably then need to restart your computer afterwards, but I guess that's a Windows thing. The silent install (as far as I know) are for the people who are fans of Linux and want to do things via command line and not have to click around the GUI.

Let me know if that makes any sense.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived