UART Protocol Hex representation

Lucas

Question

Hi all,

I was trying to use my Analog Discovery 2 to do some UART communication when I came across a silly "issue" with Waveforms 2015. I need to be able to send bytes specified in hex or even binary on the TX line, however, Waveforms 2015 only allows me to send in ASCII code, unless I'm missing something.

Could anyone advise whether it is possible to specify the bytes I want to send, via UART in the Protocol module of Waveforms 2015, in hex? Otherwise, does anyone has a simple example scrip available for doing so from the Script module of Waveforms 2015?

Thanks a lot.

Untitled.png

4 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron,

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately, I had tried that before and it didn't work for me. I had the scope hooked up to the output and I could see that either with the h or the 0x, it was just transmitting each one of the characters in ascii format. I even tried copying the format that it displays the received bytes which are something like {h7F} where 7F is the received byte; but no success. So I inferred that the TX field can only take ascii characters and does not process special characters or raw byte data.

It would be an immense help if it could accept raw bytes, as I used it frequently to communicate with some chip that has low-level serial interface.

Anyways, hopefully, this is something that can be modified easily, or even better, I hope I'm wrong about that the TX field not accepting anything but ascii characters.

Cheers,

Lucas

Archived