Analog Discovery 2 interfering with Xilinx Platform II USB cable

dallasc

Question

I working with a new Analog Discovery 2 and finding it very useful, but when it's connected to the PC I'm working on, my Xilinx Platform II USB cable no longer works.  Xilinx Vivado HW Manager sees the the Analog Discovery 2 instead of the Xilinx cable and Xilink SDK just reports that it can't see the Xilinx USB cable.  Environment is as follows:

Windows 7

Waveforms 2015 (3.5.4)

Vivado 2015.3

11 answers to this question

No. I'm debugging a custom piece of HW that has a large FPGA.  I'm using Vivado and the Xilinx USB cable to run a SW debugger for the processor on the custom HW and want to use the AD2 at the same time to debug HW signals.

Hi, it looks like Analog Discovery 2 only takes signals thru the flywire. So, if you plan to see the HW signal, you need to connect the specific signal to the wire. I think you are using logic analyzer. So you should plug the flywire to the AD2 slot and then choose any pins from 0 to 15. These are digital signal pins. Xilinx also provides Logic Analzyer in Vivado. You can use it to look at the hardware signal. 

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm doing.  I'm using the Logic Analyzer, Protocol, Waveform, and O-Scope simultaneously.  The AD2 is working perfectly with no issues.  My problem is that if the AD2 is connected to the PC via USB, then my Xilinx Platform II USB cable no longer works with any of the Xilinx tools.  If I simply remove the AD2, the Xilinx tools work fine with the Xilinx Platform USB II cable again.

I haven't tried a newer version because the product is in qualification testing and we've locked down the version we're using.  For now we're using a separate laptop for the AD2.  I did find this Xilinx answer record, which appears to provide one method of resolving the issue of having two cables on the same machine.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64252.html

Archived