Windows Update preventing programming in Xilinx/Impact ISE

RPC

Question

Has anyone had issues with using Xilinx Impact 14.7 to program .jed files with a Digilent USB cable?  Here is our setup:

- Windows 10 Pro with Xilinx 14.7 installed (with the 64bit libPortability.dll rename workaround).
- Digilent USB JTAG Cable
- Using Impact with a .jed file

This setup has been working for us for almost 2 years.  However, when Windows update KB4019472 is installed, the reading/writing with the cable fails each time.  USB connections are fine and the Digilent cable is detected. 

When we uninstalled the update and it started programming again.  I also tried installing Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703) with the latest updates on another computer, but programming fails on it as well.

On a separate note, is there a different software we can use with the USB cable and .jed files?

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

Hi @RPC,

Very sorry to hear that the Windows update is interfering with ISE 14.7 iMPACT. Just to clarify you are programming a CPLD correct(JED file)? If this is the case then the Adept 2 GUI app may be able to program some CPLDs besides our cool runner 2. I see the following in the device list:  XC9536  XC9572  XC95108  XC95144  XC95216  XC95288 XC9536XL  XC9572XL  XC95144XL  XC95288XL  XC9536XV  XC9572XV  XC95144XV XC95288XV  XCR332XL XCR3128XL  XCR3256XL  XCR3384XL  XCR3512XL  XC2C32A XC2C64A XC2C32   XC2C64   XC2C128  XC2C256  XC2C384  XC2C512 
While these are there we can’t guarantee that they work as we have not tested them.

cheers,

Jon

Tried running the Adept 2 software on the computer with Windows 10 Pro v1703, it did not work.  It seems it can't recognize the device:

===== Digilent Adept  =====
  Adept System  Rev 2.7
  Adept Runtime Rev 2.16
  Adept Application Rev 2.4.2
Copyright © 2010
Loading board information...
Warning:  Could not find specific board information
Initializing Scan Chain...
Default information loaded.
Found device ID: ffffffff
Initialization Failed.

It did work on Windows 10 Pro v1607 with KB4019472 not installed.

Also in a related scenario, The Keil uVision debugger tool did not work with KB4019472 or v1703 installed.  It did work with it uninstalled.

Capture.PNG

Hi @RPC,

The coolrunner II uses the XC2C256.  I missed that you stated your target is the XC2C64A. The XC2C64 appears on the potential cplds that might work with Adept 2.  Unfortunately it appears to not work for this target as shown in your post above. I am not aware of another program for programming the XC2C64A with JED files. I also not aware of any fix for the windows 10 update and ISE 14.7 iMPACT.  Did the windows 10 update effect how the Adept 2 worked? I also reached out to a more experienced co-worker to see if they had any input into this issue.

cheers,

Jon

Archived