ChipKit Pro MX7 / Cerebot MX7ck slow start

Geoff104

Question

Hi,

I am working with the ChipKit MX7 with a software controlled power-on circuit. I note that it takes a relatively long time for the red power LED (LD8) to light after power has been applied to the board and hence a long time before user code executes. It looks like this may be something to do with the 'PWR_ON' signal and part of the circuit that controls this line  - the onboard programmer/debugger circuit perhaps?  Is there anyway of tidily disabling the programmer circuit in the end product to reduce the start-up time?

thanks

3 answers to this question

Hi Larry,

Thanks for good idea for which I have just tried.

1Kohm resistor from pin1, JP19 (programming header) to ground certainly held the programmer in reset (no orange LEDS) but because of this the main processor didn't run because the PWR-ON signal is active high and probably floats when the programming processor is reset.

I am wondering what the headers J12,13,14 do??? Could it be that one of these overides the the programmer link to PWR_ON?

Hi @Geoff104,

J12,13,14 are part of the programming circuit which is proprietary. We are unfortunately unable to talk about the j12,13,14. I did reach out to a more experience engineer about your question. If you are talking about the 2 ish second delay, then that comes from the bootloader establishing the communication for programming with the IDE(MPIDE or Arduino).   

thank you,

Jon

Archived