Discovery BNC Scope distortion

andy128

Question

Let me apologize in advance, but I'm new to the Discovery2 and not an analog person.

My question has to do with the Discovery2 BNC adapter board.  In particular, I am talking a look at I2C signals (~400Khz) using the analog inputs.  When connected to the AD2 directly, I get the expected signal going from rail to rail.  When connected through the BNC adapter and scope probe (jumpers set to DC coupling) I get a distorted signal.  Not sure if I can trust the BNC adapter.  Any suggestions on what's going on and if it can be corrected?

Thanks in advance,  +andy

AD2 BNC.png

AD2 Direct.png

5 answers to this question

Yes, that's why I'm confused.  I looked that the board schematic and noticed that it's pretty much a pass through short of added a little capacitance because of the board traces and such.  I ohmed out the ground and found 0.4 ohm from the probe itself. The input impedance is ~ 9 Mohm.  The probes I have are the ones from "Analog Discovery 2 Pro Bundle".  I also tried some Tex P5050 with the same result.  The gain on the channel is set to 10x which is correct for both probes.  I had a hardware engineer at my company also looked at it and he can't explain it.  Thus this post asking for help.  I'm confused.

Hi @andy128

The scope probe at 10x needs to be tuned.

Connect Scope probe to W1 (JP4 0), generate a 1kHz square wave and adjust the trimmer on the probe with a screwdriver until you see a perfect square wave.
The trimmer is near the BNC connector on the other side of the label.
Gray is undercompensated, orange is good:

1i.png.f04505bcfbf5c9540a7c8b3d9c59d64d.png

For fine tuning you could use the Network Analyzer.
Orange is undercompensated, green is good.

i2.png.ef17e66eac05a49faeab69f9d100785d.png

Archived