Running the Zybo examples in Vivado 2017.1

anuar

Question

Hello,

I am new to Zybo/FPGA and currently going thru the tutorial that's available.

Currently at the DMA tutorial.

From what I understand, there are 2 method to do the project, using SDK or Vivado.

When I tried using SDK, I have a whole bunch of missing inlcudes like xparameters.h, xgpio.h, xstatus.h (to name a few). So, I went the Vivado route.

When attempting to run the tcl script, I had errors on line 67. update_ip_catalog -rebuild. Was able to resolve that by using the vivado library. Now, I'm stuck with errors stating that IPs are locked.

I am trying to follow this recommendation to change the version, but, I can't find the system.tcl file. Any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

@anuar,

First of all you need to understand that Vivado is a tool which primary focus is configuring the chip hardware, both the ARM that is PS and the FPGA which is PL. This might require HDL programming but not always. In the case of the DMA example I believe HDL programming is not necessary. Vivado generates important hardware definition files, for example xparameters.h, for the EDK.

The main purpose of the EDK is programming of processors either ARM or Microblaze if they are included in the project.

Anyway, Vivado and EDK are complmentary and should be used together in sequence. The 2017.1 version works fine for me so far in manual mode. TCL scripts are typically written for the specific Vivado version and quit if the version does not match. You can try to edit the version in the script but it might not work.

When starting EDK from Vivado give it some time to load all libraries and .h files generated in the Vivado otherwise you might see error messages and warnings in the C-code.

I also recommend to watch training videos and read Xilinx tutorials. It will save you from a great deal of frustration.

Good luck!

Hi @anuar,

Looking at the tutorial you link to above here there is two different ways to download the same project made for Vivado 2016.4. I just completed this project in Vivado 2016.4. You first load the project into vivado 2016.4 using the tickle script. I then generate a bitstream, then export hardware and launch sdk. Once in sdk I import the dma and dma_bsp from in my case the path C:\Users\jpeyron\Desktop\Zybo-DMA-master\sdk. Then you program the fpga and then right click on dma and run as launch on hardware(system debugger). I attached a screen shot of teraterm(baud rate needs to be at 115200) and my project as well.

cheers,

Jon

Zybo_dma_teraterm.jpg

Zybo-DMA-master.zip

Thanks @Notarobot and @jpeyron for the information and guide that was provided. I was able to run the project now on Vivado 2017.1.

After running the tcl script I need to upgrade the IPs to remove the 'locked IP' errors. Once that's done, I just use the guide provided in the DMA tutorial for Vivado.

Thanks again :)

On 6/2/2017 at 4:02 PM, anuar said:

Thanks @Notarobot and @jpeyron for the information and guide that was provided. I was able to run the project now on Vivado 2017.1.

After running the tcl script I need to upgrade the IPs to remove the 'locked IP' errors. Once that's done, I just use the guide provided in the DMA tutorial for Vivado.

Thanks again :)

Hi, I am running the same project at presents, and i have solved the ip lock and generated the bitstream successfully, but now i face a problem in SDK that a series of missing of xparameters.h and xgpio.h. Can you tell me how to solve this problem? 

Best wishes for u! THX.

mmexport1544805329367.jpg

14 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @CrystalSixone,

First i would right click on the applications BSP and re-generate the BSP. If that does not work then delete the applications BSP and create a new one with the same exact name.

cheers,

Jon  

Hi! Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

First I click on the re-generate the BSP but there is no use. Then I meet this problem(Fig.1)when I delete the applications BSP and try to create a new Application project. And then I try to build a new Board support package,  but I don't know which file to choose? (fig.2&3)  Now I'm trying to download Vivado 2016.4 and I hope I can run this demo at that version.:(

Ps. the error still remains as ' fatal error: xparameters.h: No such file or directory    userio.c    /dma/src/userio    line 54    C/C++ Problem'

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

1.png

2.png

3.png

Archived