Arty Board Core Supply Current Monitoring

navinkumar2015

Question

I am using a Digilent artix7 FPGA board(ARTY) to measure core power used by the FPGA.

Reference manual says "A current sense amplifier (IC15, Texas Instruments INA199A1) connected across the sense resistor provides a gain of 50 and produces an output voltage of 500 millivolts per amp of current"

Does it mean If I get a voltage reading of 0.10 volts at output of XADC( channel 10), current drawn is equal to 0.2 Amperes? or do i need to consider anything else?

Also, I am using this current and multiply with voltage to power. Doing so, I am getting on board power one half of power estimated by the tool. (looks wrong)

Please advice!

13 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron

I have attached the block design snapshot.

I am reading voltage values using AXI Lite interface. Ex: -address 44A00268 for channel 10. Please let me know if any issues with this approach.design.jpg.d84b8c1caf821f5e5493d304586abb18.jpg

Thank you very much for taking time to look into issue. 

Edit1 :

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,

navin

On 5/27/2017 at 0:48 AM, navinkumar2015 said:

Hi @jpeyron

In the above design XADC is a slave to JTAG master ( with address 44A00000).  I run the command in Vivado tcl console (After programming device)

run_hw_axi [create_hw_axi_txn rd [get_hw_axis hw_axi_1] -address 44A00268 -len 1  -type read -f] returns
INFO: [Labtoolstcl 44-481] READ DATA is: 00001164

MSB 12 bits are channel 10 read data from ARTY board = x"116"  = ~ 0.136Amps, As core voltage(VCCINT)is 0.95, power P = 0.136* 0.95 = 129 mW

But this off from estimate( which is around 460 mW). 

Numbers i used previously (0.03125A) are not related to this project. 

Regards

Hi @navinkumar2015,

I did some more research and the circuit monitors only VccINT and VccBRAM. Your power summary number you are using including much more than this. If you add the VccINT and VccBRAM together from the power report you should be getting the same number. I included a screen shot of where you should be looking.

cheers,

Jon 

Arty_power_summary.jpg

Archived