Software for myRIO Student version

rally

Question

My 15yo son is wanting to get the myRIO Student Version available from Digilent.

Its unclear what software comes with this myRIO (the list of what is included only states evaluation software), and the list from NI seems very long and expensive but possibly not necessarily all is needed !  Here http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/14603/en/

He already has the most recent LabView Student Edition (and a Digilent Discovery 2) on their way

Is this all the software he needs to be able to run the myRIO (with the VI uploaded to it) standalone or would we need to buy more software ?

Im worried about the total cost - his high school doesnt have an NI licence or anything like that so whatever he needs, we would need to get it.

I also couldn't tell if the LabVIEW 2015 myRIO Software Bundle download was a free download or had a cost and if this was the solution ?

Listed here http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375388a.html

If so what is the cost ?

If anyone could help us that would be greatly appreciated, he is very keen to get started on a new journey for his Senior High School Research Project 2.5 years early and Id like to help but its not something I know much about.

Thanks

Rally

5 answers to this question

Hi @rally,

I am not very familiar with the myRIO. We have limited support for the myRIO since we are a reseller of the myRIO. I have tagged a more experience engineer with LabVIEW to see if they have anything else to add to my response ( @AustinStanton) . They are out of town and will not be back in until next week. Due to that situation I would not expect a response until next week from them. Also Have you reached out to NI's support here?  So when I looked here it states that the required software for programming myRIO includes: 

• LabVIEW
  • LabVIEW Real-Time Module
  • LabVIEW myRIO Toolkit

The optional software for programming myRIO includes: 

• LabVIEW FPGA Module
  • Compilation Tools for Vivado
  • Vision Development Module
  • Vision Acquisition Software
  • LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module
  • Control Design Assistant
  • System Identification Assistant
  • LabVIEW MathScript RT Module
  • LabVIEW Robotics Module for myRIO and roboRIO

It appears that the bundle includes these as shown here.

Depending in if you got the student edition or the student edition suite depends on if you might have more or less of the optional software as shown here. LabVIEW student edition does not cover the LabVIEW myRIO toolkit or the LabVIEW REAL-Time Module 

I was not able to find a cost for the bundle. I went through the process to get the evaluation software until it was going to download the software. Unfortunately it did not give any specific info on future cost or length of evaluation before the download of the software.  I would suggest to contact NI Here to get a better response to cost and software needs and how long the evaluation period is.

thank you,

Jon

Thanks Guys, appreciate the help and support so far, hopefully Austin can chime in.

Im lucky my son is enthustiatic about everything in life and hes highly self motivated, - usually pushing me to keep up !

I ordered a myRIO anyway and will hope the software is readily/cheaply available, but I'd still like to know what Im in for !

His project is relatively complex (for a 15yo school project) - he will be looking at the effects of performing Exercise Physiology (some specific WattBike cycling exercises followed by stretching exercises) prior to free standing target shooting (Olympic 10m Air Rifle discipline).

The whole project concept stems from his own anecdotal exeperience where he has noticed after his own exercise training sessions and when he was riding his bicycle to the range (32kms one way most;y down hill though) that he repeatedly shoots his best and now he wants to test it and validate it on himself and on some of the Australian elite air rifle shooters that he trains with each week ! 

The output of two 9DOF Bosch acceleromoters/gyroscopes (BNO055) (using Labview with either I2C or USB data streams from the sensor) will measure and log the rifle cant angles and movement of the rifle and also that of the shooter to provide both independent and differential outputs to measure sway, the output of a BodiTrak normally used for golfing to provide body and weight distribution indication at the time of the shot being triggered to see if what is happening, a Meyton digital scoring system (already installed at the range) which provides the score and an X,Y offset of the distance in microns from the target centre and finally a SCATT machine which is attached to the rifle barrel to provides optical feedback of the rifle movement to help eliminate triggering and follow through problesm in the final data so just body sway can be isolated.

I'll help, but its all at the distant end of my limited skills too, since neither of us have ever used LabView or done any sort of Data acquisition ! - Nothing like jumping in at the deep end head first.

Hopefully if we get stuck we can get some help here !!!

After this he hopes that he can use the same setup to help his own training - and that is where some of the passion comes from, but he is no stranger to doing some breadboarding and even did one project soldering up about 1,000 surface mount components himself (mostly LEDs and resistors but there were some transistors, diodes and capacitors involved) and a couple of 16 channel I2C driven PWMs from Adafruit (in DIY kit form) to drive it all via a Raspberry Pi and a Python program.

Cheers

Rally

This sounds amazing!  I've heard of less ambitious PHD theses :D

I confirmed that the version of myRIO we sell does not include any software licenses.  These myRIO's are typically sold to university students that already have the software through the university, but we're going to figure out a better way to make sure customers like you have a streamlined way to get the software you need.  The student software you already have should cover most of what you need but if you are still missing anything shoot me a message and I'll make sure you get a license for it.  

We will definitely be here to answer any questions you have as you get started.  When you're son is ready it would be awesome if he posted the project on our new projects site.

Have Fun!

-Kristoff

Thanks Kristoff,

That is absolutely marvellous news

I already ordered the myRIO, thinking it was going to come with everything we need ! so your offer will help immensely and I am ost grateful (and relieved) for that.

Who knows, his school  they might think about getting on board after he has submitted his project when they can see what it can do.

Im sure he would be happy to submit his project to your new projects site when its done - assuming we can get it all working satisfactorily !

I installed LabView only today as the package arrived yesterday - need to start developing some skills and getting some data logging going with something a little simpler to start with - like a TEMPer1 USB temperature sensor Ive had lying around for 8 years still in its box, while I wait for the Bosch motion detectors, myRIO and Discovery2 to arrive next week.

Cheers

Rally

Archived