Project Vault code versions

zygot

Currently, a project in the vault allows code to be submitted in posts. The problem is that for a project like the Differential PMOD Challenge where there are quite a few posts it's hard to know how many versions of code have been posted or even on what page they are to be found. One solution would be to start a new post for every version... but this would also get quite confusing. I wonder if there could be a way to show the latest code archive for a particular project at the initial page? Any ideas would be welcome.

Well that works IF you have a primary repository.... I haven't seen the need for one for any of the projects that I've submitted to the Digilent Project Vault. But you might be onto something that Digilent could provide. I realize that there is no prescribed format for distributing code here. Some upload individual files, some archived project files... My intent is to throw out some ideas and get a discussion going. It probably comes down to what Digilent can easily implement; and I haven't a clue about that.

Hi @D@n and @zygot,

Thank you for the continual input for bettering our forum! My co-worker @JColvin  would be the best person to respond to your suggestions. He is currently away on a business trip and will not be back until next week. I have passed on this thread to him. I would not expect a response until next week. 

thank you,

Jon

Hello @zygot@D@n, and @jpeyron,

Turns out I was able to respond slightly sooner than next week. The best (well, easiest) way that I can think to approach this would be to pin a comment in a thread so that it stays as the very first topic. The original creator of that thread would be able to edit their own comment (ideally the one that is the pinned) to add new versions of a code while keeping the old ones available.

The slightly tricky bit that I'll have to work out (or work with the other Digilent people who do the back-end maintenance of the Forum) is the pinning portion. Currently, only moderators are able to pin posts on a Forum thread, since that can potentially get a little crazy if anybody was allowed to pin any comment. Ideally, I would like to set it so that only comments in the Project Vault threads could be pinned, but I'm not seeing that level of precision available to me. What I can also do (and have now done since I don't know why it was never done before) is add a "spoiler" button so that way long bits of code can be hidden at the users discretion and it makes for a slightly easier way of presenting multiple revisions of a project where you could have a "old version" spoiler and a "newest version" spoiler so that there is minimal confusion.

Regardless, at this point in time since I do not have any formal solution, if anybody has a comment that they would like pinned in a thread so that it stays upfront and center for any reason, feel free to send one of the moderators a PM (or "@" them) and we'll make sure it get's taken care of.

@zygot, would you like that done for your initial post on the differential Pmod challenge post?

Thanks,
JColvin

@JCOLVIN

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure exactly how the comment pinning would work. Would I be adding a comment such as " look for xxx_R3.zip" in the thread pages? And would I have to request an update for rev4?

regards, zygot

@zygot,

I looked at what I envisioned it would be (on the Scopes and Instruments section with the Analog Discovery troubleshooting as what I had in mind) and it became apparent that I misunderstood what the comment pinning would look like for myself, since the thread I was going to reference has the entire thread pinned and not the comment. :/

I suppose I was imagining having a particular comment always be visible on the very first page of the thread, but the only one that is guaranteed to be there (since I tend to sort comments by date rather than by rating so an upvoted comment doesn't confuse the flow for me) is the original comment/question. 

So, I guess what I would suggest would be to edit the original post (I believe you have access to do that, or at least my 3rd party account with no special privileges seems to be able to do that; please let me know if this is not the case) to add in new links/files to updated code. If you have updated the code and want to be able to redirect readers who are only looking at the most recent comment in the thread, you can get a direct url link to the comment/question/whatever-vernacular-is-appropriate-in-this-situation by clicking on the bubbled branch thing that looks like a "<" in the upper right hand corner in the comment of interest, which you can then use as a redirect to appropriately update viewers who happen to only be reading the latest comment in the thread.

With this situation/setup since there is no comment pinning as I imagined it, you would not need any moderator help to get anything pinned; you should be able to update your own post as you see fit. I apologize for the confusion that I caused earlier.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived