Zybo linux and PMOD WIFI

Question

Hello,

I recently received a PMOD wifi (the digilent one).

I want to connect it to my zybo, already running linux-yocto with spi interface etc ... So I don't think I need the IP pmod wifi, I can make the connection myself.

My question is, is there a getting started to make work the PMOD wifi ? e.g. some code to comminucate with the module.

regards,

Yohan

7 answers to this question

Hi,

Thank you for answers, the Pmod WIFI IP will help me a lot to put it on zybo without linux I guess. But I dug a little into the IP driver source code and if I want to port it on linux, it seems it will be much painful. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps the best solution is to change the WIFI module before it costs a lot of development time.

Yohan

You are correct, Pmod WIFI is not suitable for Linux. Microchip does not provide linux drivers for the Wifi solution we used on it. 

I'd recommend using either a USB Wifi dongle, or a module that can be plugged into a pmod port and uses the SDIO interface (TI and Cypress make them I believe). This board from avnet should do the trick: https://www.avnet.com/shop/us/p/kits-and-tools/development-kits/avnet-engineering-services-ade--1/aes-pmod-wilink8-g-3074457345623507290 . I think you will have to buy the WL1835MODGBMOCR board separately though, which will put the total price in the $60 range :(.