av_disp

AD 2 and UART

Question

Hello,

I have a question about UART in AD2. Is it a hardware or software implementation?

I was playing with a small ESP2866 board which is controlled through serial interface. I noticed that often AD2 would receive data from the module and display it as binary data. Normally it happens to long strings while short responses / first 1-20 bytes of long responses are displayed correctly. Being intrigued by that I tried to connect   the ESP2866 through USB to TTL serial adapter using Windows Terminal, Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE, from my own Python program (based on pySerial) - in all those cases I would correctly receive data of any length. 

Eventually I just connected the TX line of ESP2866 to AD2 TX while keep it connected and controlled from Windows Terminal via USB to TTL and got the screenshot that fully confirms what I am saying.

Could somebody explain to me why AD2 fails to decode proper serial communication ?ad2_serial_1.jpg

Edited by jpeyron

4 answers to this question

Hi @av_disp,

I have tagged the engineer that will be able to give you the best response to your question( @attila). Also could you attach some screen shots of this issue.

thank you,

Jon

Hello jpeyron,
>Also could you attach some screen shots of this issue.

The original post contains the screenshot clearly showing the result of reading data by Windows Terminal and AD2 and the difference that bothers me.

thanks

Hi @av_disp,

I could see your picture if i look at this post on my phone but not on my computer using chrome. I got it figured out. It was a setting I had in chrome. I edited your post for spacing to see if that was the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.  I will re-tag the engineer that will be able to give you the best answer ( @attila).

thank you,

Jon

Hi @av_disp

Thank you for your observation.

For the next software version I added improvements for handling larger amount of UART data, warning and recovery in case of reception buffer overflow.