AD 2 and UART

av_disp

Question

Hello,

I have a question about UART in AD2. Is it a hardware or software implementation?

I was playing with a small ESP2866 board which is controlled through serial interface. I noticed that often AD2 would receive data from the module and display it as binary data. Normally it happens to long strings while short responses / first 1-20 bytes of long responses are displayed correctly. Being intrigued by that I tried to connect   the ESP2866 through USB to TTL serial adapter using Windows Terminal, Serial Monitor in Arduino IDE, from my own Python program (based on pySerial) - in all those cases I would correctly receive data of any length. 

Eventually I just connected the TX line of ESP2866 to AD2 TX while keep it connected and controlled from Windows Terminal via USB to TTL and got the screenshot that fully confirms what I am saying.

Could somebody explain to me why AD2 fails to decode proper serial communication ?ad2_serial_1.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hello jpeyron,
>Also could you attach some screen shots of this issue.

The original post contains the screenshot clearly showing the result of reading data by Windows Terminal and AD2 and the difference that bothers me.

thanks

Hi @av_disp,

I could see your picture if i look at this post on my phone but not on my computer using chrome. I got it figured out. It was a setting I had in chrome. I edited your post for spacing to see if that was the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.  I will re-tag the engineer that will be able to give you the best answer ( @attila).

thank you,

Jon

Hello attila,

>For the next software version for handling larger amount of UART data, warning and recovery in case of reception >buffer overflow.

Excellent, because at some point I started doubting my own sanity since MCU simply could not send all this garbage, therefore I began to double check AD2 protocol decoding with other tools. Now I know that for now I better use other tools for controlling serial communication and wait for your improvements.
BTW, when you are talking about "next software version" are you talking about weeks, months, years? Are there any maintenance releases for WF?

And last but not least.
Please forgive my ignorance, but when you say " I added improvements" I automatically assume that you are a member of a dev. team. Would it be possible to consider 2 more relatively small but very useful improvements ?

a) add history for edit fields were applicable. What can be more less productive and more annoying than entering the same/almost data in the same field (for example Protocol-> subaddress/write etc) again and again? Even Turbo Pascal IDE in 1990 had it but WF in 2017 does not.

b) when one opens the tab protocol ->script (at least for IC2) for the first time he can see a short description of all available commands (given as comments) used for writing I2C scripts (for example). But as soon as he by mistake or on purpose replaces the help text with something else there is no way to get that info back - this is exactly what happened to me. Now I am searching through the documentation and on this forum for a description of all commands that can be used in the script. A small button "default" that could reset the tab with all its windows into original state and show the lost info would be extremely useful.

Does it make sense?

Thanks!

Archived