recommended camera for Artix-7

labumm

Question

5 answers to this question

Hello @labumm,

We don't have a PMOD with camera. Maybe will make one at some point. Have you looked at OV7725 or OV7670? They are some modules that can be interfaced with Basys3 but not directly,You'll need to make an adapter from two Basys3 PMODS to the connector of the module. It shouldn't be very complicated but you'll have to put some work in it.

I'm not aware of anything that could be interfaced with our PMODS directly, without any adapters. Maybe someone here might know something else.

Best regards,

Bianca

@labumm,

You might wish to think a bit about what you wish to accomplish before you dive into it.  Specifically, 1) where will you store this camera image, and 2) what will you do with it?  I ask because the Basys3 board just doesn't have much memory for video (or even image) types of applications.

Dan

@D@n,

Welcome to the topic. Actually we received something with an OV7725 implemented on a Basys3 and the project is used to track an object. Indeed the memory is limited but it depends on the type of project you are doing. 

Bianca

@Bianca,

You never cease to amaze me with your own creativity when using the Basys3.  It's one of those reasons why I have to be careful saying, "It cannot be done": there are folks like you that have managed to do many of the things I once thought could not be done.

For example, I am still in awe of the idea that you managed to get Pacman running on the Basys3 board ...  a video game was one of my original goals for video on my Basys3, and one that I at one time attributed to "could not be done."  (A working Pacman game would make a wonderful "official" Digilent Basys3 demo project ...)  My own experience with the Basys3 video was limited by my inability to find memory for a screen buffer, and hence my own Basys3 project simply displayed static slides that were stored on and read from the flash.

At this point, we are well off topic.  For @labumm, I would simply caution him/her to take these things into account when building any design using a camera or other video.  Block RAM is a limited, yet valuable, resource.

Dan

Well @D@n,

The project with the camera is not my own. We received a module with the project. As for the pacman, maybe it will be published some day as a project for the Basys3. It still has some issues and I had no time to deal with them.

You are right though, @labumm should consider the small memory of the basys3 if he wants to try something like this.

Bianca

Archived