FPGA USB Audio

EdinTech

Question

Hello

I am trying to do a hobby project with to record audio using digital (I2S) microphone and send it to PC through USB port (USB audio) after doing some processing in the FPGA.

Could someone suggest me a good eval board for this purpose.

Thanks

Tech

5 answers to this question

Hi @EdinTech,

I think that it depends on if you want to design in HDL(Verilog/VHDL), use a Zynq processor or embedded linux.  If you want to design in HDL(Verilog/VHDL) then I would suggest the Nexys Video( here) or the Nexys 4 DDR( here) depending on how much audio you want to record. If you wanted to use a Zynq processor then I would suggest the Arty-7Z(here) or the Zybo(here). You can install Petalinux on either the Arty-Z7 or the Zybo(currently has more demo/tutorials for embedded linux) which could make sending the data through the USB much simpler. I linked the resource pages for each board above that also includes demos and tutorials like the looper project on the Nexys video and Nexys 4 DDR that might be helpful in making a choice. The Nexys Video and Zybo have a DMA Audio demo that might be helpful as well in making a choice.

cheers,

Jon

@jpeyron,

I didn't think the USB on the Nexys DDR or Nexys4 Video could be used to support a common USB audio standard.  I thought it only did UART or DPTI.  Did I miss something?  If that's the case, either one of the zynq boards would make a better choice, either that or a combination chipkit and FPGA board or some such.

Dan

I would recommend something Zynq based because you already have the USB controller in the ARM of the Zynq (Zybo or Zed). If you want to build your own USB controller or use a custom on in the FPGA than you have to find something with only FPGA (Nexys Video  or Genesys 2). All four of these boards have an audio codec on them which supports the I2S protocol.

Stay away from: Pynq, Arty Z7, Nexys 4 DDR and Nexys 4; these have an analog circuit which receives the audio samples via PWM or PDM, so no audio interface.

Cipi

Well the idea is that in the FPGA there is no USB controller so you should either have a USB controller IP or build one yourself. As far as I know a colleague of mine has published a USB controller core on our git, but I don't know what it can do. Also, you are right the Nexys Video is not a viable solution because it dose not have a USB Phy... my bad, so that leaves only the Genesys2, if you insist of using the FPGA for USB, which is expensive. So.... I guess the easiest and cheapest solution would be a Zybo.

Archived