ISE Design SUITE

buraklar

Question

Hey guys, I am new here at this board.. i want to ask you something and i hope that you can help me.

I need help for a task at the university for my exams. i have to write a code which fulfils this here..:

it is given an input-data and an i-mask. you get I-Data as your input with 3 bits. You have  to count the ones from I-Data If the mask was set. for example.. when you get 111 in so you have to count the three ones... then you get for example 001 now you have to count the four ones. your Exit is named GENERIC and it has an indefinite lenght as vector.. Here you should write the number of your ones, if it is longer than 3 bits, an overflow at the output should be set.

could someone program that please :wacko:

4 answers to this question

@buraklar,

Welcome to the forum!  Can I encourage you anyway in your current struggle as you work on your exam?

I remember my exams from years back.  As I recall, I wasn't allowed to ask for help from anyone other than the instructor.  :o

I don't think my experience was that unique.  I think you will learn, here at this forum, that many, if not all, of those who answer questions here have been in your shoes some time before in our life--in a class, stuck (forced?) to learn a new skill, or taking exams to prove that we've actually acquired said skill.  Some of us are also in the business world, and one of the things we do not want to do is to make the mistake of hiring someone with a wonderful resume boasting of impressive academic credential's who never learned the skills his academic credentials suggest he has.  For this reason, and I apologize for this, I'm not going to do your exam work for you.  (Sorry!)

That said, many, many students come to this forum for help on their projects.  Most of them leave the forum with exactly the help they came looking for. 

1. The one's who come to the forum with no idea where to start are often pointed to the documentation for the part or board they are working with. 
  2. Some are counseled regarding how to build a design, leading to an open discussion that many take part in. 
  3. Others come to the forum with a design (partly?) written that doesn't work for some reason or other.  Sometimes they get the same response as the first group--the documentation to go read up on.  Others get lucky and find someone nice enough to look over their code and comment on any mistakes they find. 

These are the people willing to work hard at their problems, the folks who really want to learn how to do the task themselves.  Typically this is only a small part of their FPGA or embedded journey, still ... I think most who come here would find it a valuable part of their journey.

Those who come to the forum and leave disappointed are typically the ones who have learned how to manipulate others to get their work done for them and hence have no idea how to do their own work, or those who are unwilling to even try.  These people often leave here thinking the world is against them, and their professor and the Digilent Forum moderator's just hate them.

While I don't hate you, I'm going to politely decline to solve your university exam problem for you.  Consider it an act of love.  ;)   (No, sorry, I'm already married ...)

I wish you the best, and hope you do well,

Dan

Dear @buraklar

Take my advice and drop this class. Based on your post content you don't really care about the subject. You didn't show your effort in any ways. Even the title of your post tells it.

Your expectation that somebody will respect such attitude unreasonable.

The rule of data processign is garbage in - garbage out.

Wish you luck ...

@buraklar,

If I have misjudged you, than please accept my apologies.  You had said this was "for an exam" (i.e., as part of an exam) not part of your "exam prep" or review prior to the exam, hence you must understand my response.  You also asked "someone" to "program that please".  I'm not going to program that for you, sorry.  I don't think I'd be helping you if I did.

Still, perhaps I can help a bit.  We'll start at the top: do you understand the question?  Have you tried to create any solutions to this question?  If so, where have you struggled along the way?

Dan

Archived