SMT2 Storage & Operating Temperatures

bhfletcher

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi @bhfletcher,

All the the parts on the JTAG-SMT2 have an an operating temperature range of -40 to +85C which has been tested and verified with the complete product. For the max storage temperature rage we went with the smallest max storage temperature range of -20 to +60C which we got from the different parts datasheets.

thank you,

Jon

So you're telling me that I can operate the device at a greater temperature range than I can store it? I have never seen any component that has a tighter storage temperature spec than operating temperature spec. Will you please check with engineering?

Thanks.

Hi @bhfletcher,

Our design engineer has gotten back to me with a partial answer. They could not remember which part led them to originally limit the storage temperature to -20C to 60C. From the perspective of the components the storage temperature can be -55C to 125C. They are not sure about the PCB and are researching this. I will post here when I get more information.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @bhfletcher,

If you are concerned that the operating temperature is wrong I can tell that it is correct. I personally tested the SMT2 in the -40; +85 range temperature and everything worked without a problem. 

Regarding the storage temperature, like Jon said, we take it from the lowest level component. I  checked them all but I couldn't find the one with -20 to +60. As for the PCB, it shouldn't have any issues. When we are guaranteeing a range it is said that it is functioning in normal parameters. For the PCB alone I will have to contact the factory but for the whole product the temperature is set at the component with the lowest range which from I found is -55 to 125 like Jon said. In this range you should not have issues.

Best regards,

Bianca

Hi @bhfletcher,

Our design engineer got back to me with the following response:

I had our CM do an in depth review of the entire JTAG-SMT2 assembly, which includes things beyond just the components (PCB, Red Glue, solder, etc). The spreadsheet they sent me shows that several components on the board have a more narrow storage temperature range and their operating temperature range. From the data we concluded that the actual storage temperature range should be -10C to 60C. The operating temperature range remains -40C to 85C, which is wider than the storage temperature. I realize that this seems odd, but I think it’s has to do with the way that component manufactures define “storage” vs “operating”. I believe the time spans for these ranges are significantly different, but don’t have any concrete definition.

In any case, -10C to 60C should be considered the storage temperature range for both the SMT2 and SMT2-NC.

thank you for your patience,

Jon

Archived