genesys2 flash problem (help me pls..)

spike556

Question

i am a student.

my lab writes a riscv cpu core and a spi controller and they ask me to test it in FPGA.(it passed verification)

i want to access the flash to fetch instruction and CPU will execute it, at least, i expected that.

but the instruction is always 0x00000000 !!

(i used chipscope to detect the signal)

(i used startupe2 to access CCLK)

it seems like i didn't access the flash, can anyone help me?

thanks a lot !!

pls save me....

@D@n

sorry for replying you late.

Thanks for your advice. Yes, i do the configuration via QSPI successfully when my configuration mode is in QSPI mode.(does this mean i can only access flash when my configuration mode is in QSPI mode?)

i have tried my code in flash behavior verilog model provided by the manufacture .it works fine.(s25fl256.v) 

@D@n

still don't work..

i used an oscillograph to detect the spi_sck and IO0 pin outside the flash, they seem right.

but there is no signal in IO1(it remains zero)

how can this be?.. (probably flash is broken?)

Can you help me?

@spike556,

Can you program a configuration into the flash and read it on startup?  Perhaps something that just blinks an LED?  If so, your flash isn't broken.  Even better, if you do the configuration via the 4-wire QSPI protocol, then you'll know that all the wires are working and present.

Have you tried your code with a flash simulator to know if it works or not?  That would give you much more access into knowing what's going wrong.

Dan

@spike556,

Is the behavior verilog model sufficient for you to be able to boot your CPU in simulation with it?  I mean .... there's a lot of stuff/steps involved in starting up a soft-core CPU on an FPGA.  Is the verilog model you have sufficient to get you from power on to the first couple instructions to know that it works?

Dan

we use a button to boot the cpu from flash.(our RTL code defines that)

in slow mode, when we push a button,spi controller move part of data from flash to our mmu(including imem and dmem). When it finished, we read instruction from our mmu and execute it.

in fast mode,when need to push a button twice to do the same(the interval is defined by the manufacture)

@D@n

"It should not appear in your top level port list.  It only appears in the STARTUPE2 primitive."

you mean spi_sck can't be an output of top module?

and besides startupe2, spi_sck maybe appears in spi_controller?(because it generates spi_sck..)

(i know these questions are silly, forgive me...)

anyway, thanks a lot~

@spike556,

Not sure if I was clear enough: Do not place the SPI SCK pin into the XDC file.  Trying to place it there would be a mistake, as the pin is already constrained.  There is only one CCLK pin, the pin is fixed by the FPGA manufacturer, and you just need to use it.  You don't want the pin in the XDC file.  It should not appear in your top level port list.  It only appears in the STARTUPE2 primitive.  That's how you get access to it.

Dan

yes..because i don't know how to constrain it...

in xdc, it didn't tell me  how to constraint the spi_sck..

## QSPI
  #set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN U19 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { QSPI_CSN }]; #IO_L6P_T0_FCS_B_14 Sch=qspi_csn
  #set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN P24 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { QSPI_D[0] }]; #IO_L1P_T0_D00_MOSI_14 Sch=qspi_d[0]
  #set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN R25 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { QSPI_D[1] }]; #IO_L1N_T0_D01_DIN_14 Sch=qspi_d[1]
  #set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN R20 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { QSPI_D[2] }]; #IO_L2P_T0_D02_14 Sch=qspi_d[2]
  #set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN R21 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { QSPI_D[3] }]; #IO_L2N_T0_D03_14 Sch=qspi_d[3]

thanks for your kind help. pls help me again..

Archived