Pmod Wifi Tutorial - Why is Pmod SD needed?

ibtyn

Question

Hi everyone,

I am working on the tutorial of the Pmod Wifi (found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTeTMv3oiPw) and I don't really understand the role of the Pmod SD.

From what I saw, in the tutorial, the Pmod SD is used to hold the static HTML pages that are then loaded in the browser. I would like to try something simpler, basic Wifi communication, and I wanted to leave out the Pmod SD IP from the block design, but then I got critical warnings at the bitstream generation. No problems arise when the Pmod SD IP is added, though.

So I was wondering, is there a more important role to the Pmod SD that I did not seem to get?

The critical warnings say: 
[IP_Flow 19-3298] Detected external port differences while upgrading IP 'PmodWIFI_axi_quad_spi_0_0'. These changes may impact your design.
[IP_Flow 19-3298] Detected external port differences while upgrading IP 'PmodWIFI_axi_gpio_0_0'. These changes may impact your design.
[IP_Flow 19-3298] Detected external port differences while upgrading IP 'PmodWIFI_axi_gpio_1_0'. These changes may impact your design.

I am using Vivado 2015.4.

I would appreciate any ideas on how these modules work or what I could have done wrong.

Thanks a lot!

2 answers to this question

Hi @ibtyn,

The PmodWifi upgrade because a the axi quad spi block within it was upgraded in this version of vivado. In this case, I do not believe this will make an issue. I did find a thread on the xilinx forum talking about these warning here. In this situation vivado only removed a parameter that should not effect the operation of the PmodWifi IP core. What develop board are you using? I.E. Arty, Zybo... You do not need to use an the PmodSD . The SD is where the webpages are being stored. You will need to make changes to the SDK demo code for the PmodWifi to reflect your simpler design.

cheers,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

Thank you for your response! I am using a Nexys4 DDR board. I did not find any problems despite the warnings, the generation of the bitstream did not fail. It was just strange that the warning did not occur with the PmodSD.. I had to ask whether there was a hidden connection between them.

Thank you!

Archived