Nexys4 , ISE and programming

Philippe

Question

Hi folks,

I'm little bit confusing with the different tools around the Nexys4.

How can I program either the FPGA (Artix-7) or the Flash device.

Directly from the ISE (Free Webpack) ?  Or using  a special diligent tool (Impact? Adept ? ) 

These tools are separate tools ? or included as plugin in ISE 

Thanks for your answers

Philippe

6 answers to this question

Hi Philippe, here are your options

1) through ISE Webpack and then Impact - you can generate bit file and then open the impact through ISE Webpack

2) through Vivado Webpack

I will suggest Vivado Webpack as you can do everything in one platform

Thanks Alex for your answer.

Ok as far as I understand , the two design suites are valuables. Developers are more confortable with Vivado and it is more powerful  but on the other-side ISE is free.

I'm just going to start with a FPGA platform, and I appreciate that Xilinx has a free Design tools. I don't know the price for a Vivado  seat.

Philippe. 

Hello -

I just tried to program my new Nexys4 DDR using Impact and impact responds: WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

I checked the usb driver and Windows 7 indicates that is is operating correctly and identifies it as: Digilent USB Device

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dms

Hello

I tried the various suggestions and could not get them to work.  I finally found the suggestion that I should manually add

the following to the system path of my Windows 7 systems:

C:Xilinx14.7ISE_DSISEbinnt64

How to get there:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Environmental Variable -> System Variables

Edit Path

This worked and Impact now let me program the Nexys4 DDR with one of the demo bit files.  I found the suggestion buried in a another forum but failed to record the URL.

dms

Archived