akshata@94

Question

hello guys, I am new to this forum . I am implementing md5 in Verilog. I am almost done with it somehow but still stuck half in a way.. can someone can help me in finding the bug in the rtl. I have referred pancham md5 source code for it and have modified a little bit as per my application. here, are the two attached files kindly help me in solving these issues. have been trying since long. I have to calculate the hash value of about 512 bytes but first of all trying from smaller input values

md5.txt1.txt

pancham_round.txt

5 answers to this question

Hi @akshata@94,

Welcome to the forum! I moved your thread to a section that would get viewed by more fpga experienced forum members. I have not worked with md5 so i'm sure how much help i would be. I have reached out to other forum moderators to see if they would have any input for you. Can you attach the errors you are getting.

cheers,

Jon

Hello !! @jpeyron 

yeah actually its  a simulation error. there is some bug in my rtl . I am unable to find the error hence thought this would be a better place to ask .

while implementing md5, since the input message is greater than what the md5 accept as input, for the first 64 rounds it produces proper abcd values . For second rounds,the abcd value are calculated wrong due to which the whole hash value for the md5 input goes wrong. I hope I tried to answer your question

@akshata@94,

Try building your project with Verilator.  On a linux machine, just type "verilator -cc <toplevel-verilog-filename>".  Even if you don't want to simulate using Verilator, the compiler within Verilator can be used to find a lot of bugs.  (For example, you are missing a ; after msg_last.)  I'd produce the full list of bugs found for you, but ... you didn't post all the files to your design, hence Verilator is breaking because it cannot find pancham.h.

Dan

hello here is the md5.h file and the top module through which input is applied 

module top;

reg clk;

reg rst;

reg [0:511] m_in;

reg [0:12] m_in_w;

reg m_in_val;

reg m_first;

reg m_last;

wire [0:127] m_out;

wire m_out_val;

wire ready;

wire final_op;

//////// instantiation of module md5 //

initlal 

clk =1'b0;

always # 5 clk = ~ clk;

initlal begin 

rst = 1'b1;

m_first = 1'b0'

m_last = 1'b0;

# 12;

rst = 1'b0;

end 

///////////// input message ///

inital begin 

m_in_val = 1'b0;

wait (!rst & ready )

#10 $ display ("---------MD% TEST 0-----------")

m_in = "ponmkljihgfedcbaponmkljihgfedcbaponmkljihgfedcbahgfedcbahgfedcba";

m_in_w = 512;

m_in_val = 1'b1;

m_first = 1'b1;

m_last = 1'b0;

#10;

m_in_val = 1'b0;

m_first = 1'b0;

wait (m_out_val)

if (m_out == 128'hF94980206BA2F6E126C27B32D77DC39F )

$display ("MD5 TEST 0 : PASSED");

the output i get is only upto fd2e5c919c8ecadf362c7f1abc959753 and the further 64 rounds gives me wrong output 

md5.h.docx

Archived