fredp

Fredp

Question

We have a number of Digilent boards with this built in so we decided to put one an a new design. When trying to connect using Xilinx Impact 14.4 initialize chain, a message comes up that it found multiple devices and when i hit continue, it wants me to enter .BSD files. does this device require any programming before it can be used. I wired it up according to the data sheet when using the Xilinx 14 pin JTAG header in parallel with the JTAG-SMT2-NC. We have it connected to a Xilinx XC7Z020-1CLG400C. I would think Impact would have found this device. as the PS processor and the PL logic side as it does on the Digilent development boards. No other devices are in the chain. At this time we are having the JTAG-SMT2-NC removed and see if we can detect the chain with just the Xilinx JTAG header and programming pod. with the device installed, the pod doesn't see the chain either. any Ideas? It is possible the XC7Z020-1CLG400C has a soldering problem but it's to early to tell.

8 answers to this question

Hi @Fredp,

After removing the JTAG-SMT2-NC and seeing if the Xilinx JTAG header can see the XC7Z020-1CLG400C you will have a better idea if the issue is with the JTAG-SMT2-NC or potentially an issue with the soldering. If you are able to see the XC7Z020-1CLG400C with the Xilinx JTAG header could you send us a screen shot of your circuit with the JTAG-SMT2-NC. 

thank you,

Jon

On 4/18/2017 at 5:25 PM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Fredp,

After removing the JTAG-SMT2-NC and seeing if the Xilinx JTAG header can see the XC7Z020-1CLG400C you will have a better idea if the issue is with the JTAG-SMT2-NC or potentially an issue with the soldering. If you are able to see the XC7Z020-1CLG400C with the Xilinx JTAG header could you send us a screen shot of your circuit with the JTAG-SMT2-NC. 

thank you,

Jon

digilent jtag.JPG

digilent Jtag.docx

this is the schematic of the jtag hook up. our second board sees the chain but only with the xilinx programmer. both boards using impact can't find cable when connected to digilent board. this is without connecting the xilinx pod. so it's just computer running impact with usb micro cable plugged into the USB micro connector. it acts like the board is dead. i did not connect pin 1 on the USB connector to power since the digilent board is connect to system VCC3.3vdc. is there any program in the jtag-smt2?

thanks

fp

Hi @Fredp,

I reached out to our design engineer about this issue. They think that iMPACT is not detecting the JTAG-SMT2-NC. It is more than likely an installation issue. I would suggest installing the latest version of the Adept System (assuming this is windows) and running the Adept GUI to see if the SMT2 device is recognized. This should also result in the IDCODE of any devices being displayed in the window.

thank you,

Jon

ok thanks i'll try that. one more question. is there anything i can check on the SMT2 that will tell me if it's up and running? i mean impact find all the development boards that have this circuit built into them. microzed board and zedboard when plugged into the micro USB.

Hi @Fredp,

Unfortunately we do not have a circuit on the JTAG-SMT2-NC like on the Zedboard that would let you know it is powered correctly(pgood led). Once software connects to the JTAG-SMT2_NC you would be able to take meaningful o-scope reading that would give you more knowledge of whats going on.

thank you,

Jon

Archived