hreatx

how to connect joystick2 to zedborad

Question

Hi,

I am a newbie on zedboard and I have several questions on Pmod joystick2.

I bought a Pmod joystick 2, and want to integrate it into my Zedboard project using vivado. However, I cannot find any tutorial on it. I search it on the net, and get something like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Use-the-PmodJSTK-With-the-Basys3-FPGA/?ALLSTEPS

It seems that it only works on Basys3, because on zedboard we need to use IP to connect Pmod to zedboard, right? If I need to create IP to use JSTK2, what should I do? Actually I am not familiar with IP on vivado..

4 answers to this question

@hreatx,

I'm not sure this will help much, but "IP" stands for Intellectual Property.  Any thing you build will be your own IP.  Any components you use from Xilinx will be their IP.  I'm not sure why custom blocks within a design are being called IP, but ... they are.

The IP for the joystick in the example above is written in Verilog.  Nothing keeps you from adding a Verilog only design to the ZedBoard.  You might find you can debug it using the LED's, without integrating it further into your board.

As a more practical alternative, here's a link on how to create a custom block of your own within your ZedBoard.  You should be able to just merge the two.  If not, here's a link to a scope that you can use to figure out what is (or isn't) working within your design.

Dan

Hi @hreatx,

Here is the resource page for the zedboard. I would look at the getting started with zynq tutorial as well as using Pmod IP's.  Here is a thread that talks about using the PmodJSTk2 with the zybo which uses the zynq processor as well. The basic process is first added the vivado librarys to the ip repository. create a block design. add the zynq processor, run block automation, add the PmodJSTK by clicking in boards and right clicking on the Pmod Port like JB then clicking on the PmodJSTK2. next regenerate layout to make it easier to understand block design, validate and make a wrapper then generate bitstream. Next export hardware including bitstream and launch sdk. Once in sdk add a new application(hello world) and add the files from the PmodJSTK2 to the application and then program the Zedboard. I have attached a vivado 2016.4 completed but not tested project for the zedboard and the PmodJSTK2. 

cheers,

Jon

Zedboard_pmodJSTK2.zip

On 4/20/2017 at 5:14 PM, hreatx said:

Thank you all! My joystick2 are now working.

hi, I am a university student. We are learning ZedBoard and vivado this semester and I am about to develop a game with pmod joystick2 and monitor connected with VGA cable.
Can you please share with me how you get your joystick working on ZedBoard?