Error in Analog/Digital Discovery Protocol tutorial

dnovick

Question

So, I just received my Digital Discovery earlier this week. I've actually got a project coming up where I'll be able to make use of it, so thought I'd familiarize myself with the differences between it and the Analog Discovery. I proceeded to walk through the protocol tutorial that uses the ALS PMOD to demonstrate SPI interaction. I had never tried this with the AD2, and figured it would be a good test.

Unfortunately, after checking my work multiple times, I was still only getting back 0 signals. Thinking the problem could be the DD, I tried the same thing on the AD2 with the same results.

After scratching my head a few times, it occurred to me that the prescribed pin assignments looked strange. The tutorial says CS is assigned clock, and SCK is assigned to select. I went and double checked my hunch in the ALS docs, and indeed there was the problem. The tutorial incorrectly swaps these two pins. CS is (chip) select, and SCK is (serial) clock. 

Once I swapped the pins, all was well.

Just and FYI for the content team and others who might face the same issue.

Dave

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/instrumentation/tutorials/ad2-protocol-analyzer/start

1 answer to this question

Archived