Analog Discovery JtscProgramDvc failed

evelynlong

Question

18 answers to this question

Thank's a lot. Your support is great! Due to your post here:

i found out, that the LDO in the FT232 is broken and supplies approximatly 5V to VPLL and VPHY. it is weird, that the device is even working from time to time under these circumstances.

I will try to replace the ftdi and hope that it was the culprit.

After meassuring I also accidentally destroyed the black component next to the VPLL cap. Is this an inductor or what is it?

Could you supply me with some more values for the components placed around the FTDI to make sure everything is working properly? I suspect that the components are the same as in the datasheet example of the FT232H but Im not sure which is which.

Thank you

Hi @DontP4nic

The error is given by the FPGA programming library. Unfortunately it does not give error details so it could be software or hardware issue as well.

In the latest beta version I've added more debugging info in case the programming fails:
https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/8908-waveforms-beta-download/
Normally is should be: JTAG-IDs h44002093 h00000000

In case it is problem with soldering the JTAG wires are the following:
AD3/TMS on the FT232H is pin 16, AD2/TDI_USB is 15, OE_JTAG is 31

image.png.8db02fe2dd93a842bb5b432807d002c1.png

I Force programmed it, after resoldering the ft232H. This is what i get in the force programming window:

USB FT232H

VID/PID: 403 / 6014
Manufacturer: Digilent
Description: Digilent USB Device
SN: 210321A675AE
Bus Powered 500mA

OEMID: 356A92C7
PDID: 40300360
Product: Analog Discovery 2
Name: Discovery2

Its weird since it partially worked before changing the faulty FT232H.

I have soldered a new FTDI chip on the board and programmed it using WaveForms. Everything worked perfectly up to this point, but I now got the message "Analog Discovery - Device is being used by another appication". I tried it on several PCs and tested with a AD first generation, which worked perfectly. I also checked following threads. Do you have any idea what the problem could be? The 3.3VPLL is now correctly at ~3.28V. Since it worked sporadically before (with the 5V on VPLL) there must be something else wrong with it now. Do you have any suggestions what hardware or voltages to check?

Hi @DontP4nic

This sounds to be a contact issue on the USB connection.
The USB connector internal place could be broken by forcing flipped microUSB cable, issue with the connector soldering to PCB, the ferrites under the connector on the other side of the PCB damaged by high current...

You can find troubleshooting instructions, pieces of layout in the following post:

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have tried many different cables, usb ports and computers. The problem persists. I even changed the usb port on the device, which didnt help.

I now tried to use an external power supply. This made the device usable for a short period of time but even then failes again and again stating an error in communication.

When using the external supply it draws 300mA which does not seem to change during failing communication and afterwards. The device cant be reconncted until being power cycled. My guess is, that some power supply rail has a somewhat high impedance and the ftdi chip fails to communicate every now and then. Do you think this could be a possibility. A typical point in time to fail would be starting the scope in continuous mode.

I also tried supplying 5.1V via the external power supply, which seemed to make the device more stable.

Using usb power the device is sometimes not recognised at all. After reconnecting it it shows up at some point but connection might fail with above error. Sometimes also other error messages are displayed. If it manages to connect it will fail the communication shortly after. The voltage on many caps drops to about 4.65V due to the schottky diodes i guess.

Any recommendation what to test or measure? I have access to lab equipment but debugging without schematics is tiresome.

Thank

Hi @DontP4nic

Probably the device runs out of power during initial configuration, the consumption increases and the voltage drops.
This could be due to bad USB cable contacts.

Have you tried using the original USB cable the device came with or other microUSB cables you have by hand ?
You could also try with powered USB hub or 5VDC auxiliary power supply.

I have the same error using der AD2. It stopped working properly a few weeks ago. Now I cant get it to work. Sometimes it is recognized using a short usb cable, but i cant connect with the error 0x3ec. I tried different usb cables and putting on some ferrites, with no success. Any help would be great. Tools to modify the hardware including usb sockets are available if needed.

I tried it on Linux and Windows machines and on different USB Ports. On some ports it isnt even recognized. On both machines it produces the same error message

Thank you

m4gNgOM.png

Archived