Zybo won't power on

khiz

Question

Hello, I have a zybo board that wont power on. I have tried to power it with an external power supply as well as with a usb cable. i would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some trouble shooting tips.

I am a student and need the board for my project. it worked previously but it just wont work now. (PGOOD doesn't turn on)

5 answers to this question

Hi @khiz,

When you are switching between the different power supplies are you also changing JP7 as described in the reference manual under the power supplies section here? What are the outputs specs of the wall-wart? Have you tried a different USB cable or a different computer?

cheers,

Jon 

Thank you for your reply @jpeyron. Yes, I set the jumper according to the power supply. The power supply is 5V 2.1A. The usb cable is fine as i use it to connect my mobile to my PC. I have used both to power the board before.

Hi @khiz,

Please plug in the zybo with the usb power selected and let it set for a couple of minutes and then feel for hot spots. Be careful as some of the IC's could potentially get very hot. Could you do a visual inspection of the board looking for burn marks and or damaged components. If you have access to a multi-meter could you please measure voltage at these capacitors C215, C213, C226, C224, C229,C222  with the USB plugged in and on.  You can also measure the voltage at R280 and it should be around 1.4V.  I have attached a picture of where on the back of the board the Capacitors are and R280 is almost in the same spot as pgood ld11 but on the back of the board as well. Here is the schematic for reference

cheers,

Jon

zybo_picture.zip

I really appreciate your help @jpeyron and i'm sorry for the late reply. I checked for hot spot after 5 minutes and again after 15 minutes but couldn't find any. the voltages are 

C215 2V2, C213 0V, C226 0V, C224 0V, C229 1V8, C222  0V, R280 0V. 

The components look fine. The ADP5052 chip seemed a little dirty before i cleaned it. it was similar to the 9962a chip. i have attacked a picture to show you what i mean by looked dirty

before.jpg

After.jpg

Archived