Digital Discovery synchronous capture...

NIcko

Question

Hi,

I'm a happy AD II user and am also looking at the DD.

One of my colleagues who does a lot of video work was asking if the DD could do synchronous capture, clocked by the DUT, rather than just async sampling.

He thought that this might just be a firmware change as the hardware should already support this..

Have Digilent had any thoughts on synchronous capture?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Continuing my original question, I see that in 3.6.8, "Synchronized acquisition" is mentioned...

Please could you expand on exactly how this is implemented and used.? Is there a pin that is used to trigger the capture,e.g. on its falling edge?

Thanks

Hi @NIcko

With Sync capture you can select any DIO or DIN pin to use as sampling clock and enable. For the clock you can specify the edge (rising,falling,either) and for enable the polarity.
The digital inputs are resampled by the device clock:
On DD the input data is sampled at 800MHz and the samples (with 1.25ns resolution) which qualify the specified clock and enable are stored at up to 100Msps. At such high frequency, 800MHz it is important to have proper wiring, termination... http://store.digilentinc.com/digital-discovery-high-speed-adapter-and-logic-probes/
On AD, AD2 the input data is sampled at 100MHz and lets you capture at up to 50Msps. Due to clock jitter between AD and external device it is achievable ~40MHz.

i1.png.0695f164637fd45a05d028ddf284960f.png

Archived