Measuring the grid voltage with analog discovery 2

Filipe Tavares

Question

Hi, I would like to know if it is safe measure the grid voltage (220 Vrms) with analog discovery 2, the bnc adapter and a probe with 1 x 100 attenuation (is a simple oscilloscope probe, not a isolated)? I'm fear of conect the ground of the grid power in the gnd of analog discovery and of my pc, and the circuits that this could close.

Could someone tell me if it's safe?

Thaks

ps: sorry for my english

3 answers to this question

Filipe

In a professional world any connections to the grid wires require series safety precautions. There is a special floating voltage probe (TI or Fluke) made for measurements beween AC phase wires.

Voltage probes which will be connecting to grid potentials should not have connection to the ground. In the US all instruments typically have neutral (ground) wire connected internally to the metal enclosure. If your instrument has BNC coaxial connector there are high chances that it is connected to the ground eventually, thus it can't be connected to any potential grid wires.

The easiest way to measure AC voltages is through an isolation transformer (not autotransformer).

Be safe!

Archived