RegisGalland

Nexys 4 DDR - USB keyboard

Question

Hi, I am currently using a USB keyboard and decoding keys. However, there seems to be an error with some of the extended keys. When I press the right arrow I received 0xE0 0x74 as expected but not for left, up or down where I only receive 1 byte; 0x6B, 0x75 and 0x72 respectively. While I can write a workaround, would it be possible to have access to the PIC code to check the conversions.

3 answers to this question

Hi @RegisGalland,

Unfortunately, I do not believe we would be able to share the source code for the PIC24 with you. Have you looked at our keyboard project here. When I ran this project i did not see the issues you are talking about. Have you tied your project with a different keyboard? Also Here is a thread that talks about issues with the usb host on the Nexys 3 and another way to trouble shoot an issue with the USB host. If you put an o-scope R154 and R155 for the Nexys 4 ddr and you will be able to see what the PIC24 is outputting directly.

cheers,

Jon

Edited by jpeyron

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your quick response. I used the Digilent keyboard project with 2 different keyboards; one from Logitech and another from Dell. I can confirm that the issue with the Nexys 3 pointed out by Manu in the thread from your post still stands with the Nexys 4.

Manu said:

"As I said, it works perfectly with the Spartan-3E board. With the Basys-3 and Nexys-3 board, only the right arrow key and the alt-gr and ctrl keys work perfectly. The others no."

For now I'll use a work around, but please let me know if the PIC24 code can get fixed as I don't mind reflashing the chip if source cannot be shared.

Regards,

Regis

Hello Regis,

There is indeed a bug in our firmware that causes certain scan codes not being sent with the extension prefix. As soon as get my mental stamina up to work with Microchip tools, I will fix it and post an update.