Audio Codec - ZYBO Zynq 7000-Development Board

kodyhaugli

Question

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding the Zynq 7000-Development Board. I will be inputting a sound into the board, filtering and delaying the sound, and emitting the new sound through another speaker. My question is if the board has a built in audio codec to produce the new sound or will I have to develop some code for an audio codec? I have been looking at the product page and I haven't really noticed anything saying that it does.

If I do need to produce code for an audio codec, would anyone have some links to help me get started in creating some code? VHDL or Matlab (I heard Matlab was easier).

Thank you in advance for all your help.

2 answers to this question

You can also use the one provided by Analog Devices (here, go into library and find the AXI_I2S_ADI), which comes with the Zybo reference design. I get negative slack warnings in Vivado 2014.4 with this, but I have not seen terrible results with it. I have, however, seen some weirdness with the input range into the AXI_I2S_ADI IP from the PS side.

EDIT: I may start a post on the negative slack and range issues at some point, but for not I'll leave it as "use at your own risk"

The Zybo board has a SSM2603 audio codec chip. It is connected directly to the Zynq PL. The zynq does not have a built-in I2S peripheral so you will need to define logic to generate the needed signals and a driver for your software.

Xillinux (xillybus.com) has an example how to do this on Linux without going through Alsa. Digilent's "Zybo Base System Design" has a more advanced example.

Archived