Max32 going, going, gone.

Alex B

Question

Hi, I am having trouble with my chipKIT Max32.When I began using it with the Arduino IDE everything was fine, but after a few uploads I got my first failure with a target not found error. After trying the upload again it went fine, but from that point on I started getting target not found errors on nearly every upload, and I would have to retry. Then as time went on I would have to retry more and more times to get it to finally go through. This all occurred on the first day of use and after a few hours of use I was having to retry my uploads four or five times typically. The second time I used the board I was eventually able to get my sketch to upload after several retries, but now I can not get an upload to complete successfully even after many repeated retries.

The last few sketches that uploaded successfully were sending data to the USB port and I was able to see the data using Serial Monitor from the IDE. Also, I borrowed a PICkit3 and was able to program the chip successfully from the MPLABX IDE, so the board is not dead, it just can't be found via USB.

Any ideas what could cause this? Since it seems pretty unlikely that this is a configuration or software issue, what is the warranty on these things, and what is the process for that?

Thanks,

Alex

3 answers to this question

Thanks Bianca,

I was able to update the bootloader, and things are better but the problem has reversed. I am now able to upload sketches again by choosing "chipKIT MAX32-USB for Serial" as the board type, but now I'm not able to receive data using Serial Monitor. I didn't have a lot of time to spend trying different options but this is an improvement, at least I can run new sketches now. What is the difference between the "chipKIT MAX32" and "chipKIT MAX32-USB for Serial" board options in the Arduino IDE? Any ideas on the serial monitor issue?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi @Alex B,

I am not sure what the difference between the two board selections are. To get more information about the differences between the different board selections I would also reach out on the chipkit forums here. I just downloaded the most recent Arduino IDE  version 1.8.1 with the most recent chipkit core version 1.4.0. I have it set to  "MAX32" and made sure to have the correct port selected. I ran a very basic sketch that just prints a line over and over through serial communications. I have attached screen shots and the INO. 

cheers,

Jon

Arduino_esc_3.jpg

Arduino_esc_2.jpg

Arduino_esc_1.jpg

test.ino

Archived