Trying to acquire a clock signal of 26MHz

robotlove

Question

Hello All, 

I am trying to acquire a waveform from one of my terminal of the ESP8266 microcontroller (GPIO0). I should be expecting a signal from the crystal at this terminal which is oscillating at 26 MHz. Can anybody let me know the correct settings to acquire the signal of 26 Mhz? 

The following are the steps that I performed:
 1. Go to settings--> Device Manager --> select 2x 16K scope
 2. Then click the settings (gear symbol) on the time settings box on the right side of the window
3.  Here, I select Range Mode = Division Mode, Rate = 100 MHz, Samples = Default

I have attached the snip shots below. The signal intended to measure should be in 26 MHz.  It usually says samples lost- reduce the sample rate. Why does it say that? Please let me know the correct settings to measure this signal. 

The overall objective of measuring the time response on this terminal and maybe the frequency response at this terminal is to figure out which component in my custom board is behaving differently from the other boards which are tested as okay. Please let me know if there is a way to do it using Analog Discovery. 

100MHz samples lost.JPG

Clock Signal at 800Khz.JPG

4 answers to this question

1 minute ago, robotlove said:

Hello All, 

I am trying to acquire a waveform from one of my terminal of the ESP8266 microcontroller (GPIO0). I should be expecting a signal from the crystal at this terminal which is oscillating at 26 MHz. Can anybody let me know the correct settings to acquire the signal of 26 Mhz? 

The following are the steps that I performed:
 1. Go to settings--> Device Manager --> select 2x 16K scope
 2. Then click the settings (gear symbol) on the time settings box on the right side of the window
3.  Here, I select Range Mode = Division Mode, Rate = 100 MHz, Samples = Default

I have attached the snip shots below. The signal intended to measure should be in 26 MHz.  It usually says samples lost- reduce the sample rate. Why does it say that? Please let me know the correct settings to measure this signal. 

The overall objective of measuring the time response on this terminal and maybe the frequency response at this terminal is to figure out which component in my custom board is behaving differently from the other boards which are tested as okay. Please let me know if there is a way to do it using Analog Discovery. 

100MHz samples lost.JPG

Clock Signal at 800Khz.JPG

The same pin gives the above two responses at different frequency.

Hi @robotlove,

This the correct section to get a response from an experienced forum members about the Analog Discovery and Waveforms. While waiting for a more experienced forum member to respond I typically use the auto selection and then fine tune the settings from there. From your first picture, to reduce the sample rate click on config and reduce the number of samples.I have attached a screen shot below. Here is a reference guide for using the Oscilloscope. Here is the reference manual for Waveforms 2015.

cheers,

Jon

AD_question.jpg

Archived