Using Segger J-Link Against chipKIT Boards

ReiVilo

Question

3 answers to this question

Yes, I have done it, and it does work really well. One big advantage is that it doesn't take up Flash space with a debug executive the way the Microchip tools do. It's also quite fast. Once it has been programmed, it can only update the flash pages that change between execution, reducing programming time.

But, every once in a while, I can't get mine to connect. When that happens, I usually find I have to chip erase the part with MPLAB tools, then try it again.

Thank you for your answer. I have found interesting documents.

For the chipKIT uC32, the SEGGER J-Link for MPLAB® X IDE application note, as well as the J-Link Microchip Adapter schematics for Microchip Debug Tool Connector / 2-wire JTAG corresponding to JP3 connector.

However, the chipKIT Wi-Fire features 3 debugging ports: JP1 for Microchip Debug Tool Connector / 2-wire JTAG, undocumented JP3 labelled JTAG for 4-wire JTAG, and undocumented JP4 for trace (according to PIC32MZ2048EFG100 data-sheet)

Does Digilent plan to release more information about how to debug the chipKIT boards with Segger J-Link, and how to use the chipKIT JP3 and JP4 connectors?

Hello,

I talked with our senior engineer for our microcontroller boards and they do not know anything about the SEGGER J-Link, so no, we as Digilent will not have any information on how to debug chipKIT boards with that particular debugger, at least in the foreseeable future. 

I was informed that JP3 and JP4 are JTAG/Trace ports for Imagination Technologies, but we don't really have any information beyond that. It looks like Imagination Technologies has a document from January of last year that talks about using JP3 on the WiFire though.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived