New Analog Discovery User .... HELP!

Pete Basel

Question

Hi All,

I'm an electrical engineer who's been working in both digital, CPU design, DSP, etc, and 

analog, filters, amps, audio for over 30 years.  I wanted a portable scope and waveform 

generator for testing audio amps.  I'm not finding the waveform generator to work in any

way that I would expect.  I simply want to get a long sine burst, have that be 10% of the 

duty cycle so the other 90% is off.  I found the menu but it doesn't seem to work in any

reasonable way.  I suppose that I should post this in the correct sub-forum.

I am borrowing this from a friend who has a very high opinion of it, I'll buy one if I can get

it to work.

Hi all!

Pete Basel

3 answers to this question

Thanks very much,

I posted to the main forum right after I posted here but that got lost, operator error perhaps.

Thanks for this,  so I read the manual more carefully and eventually came to something very similar

to what you are showing and I think I understand it better.  I was expecting to put the entire waveform

including the off time in memory, thinking there was plenty of memory.  Now I see that (I think) timers

are used for the off and repeat time.  I assume that is what happens, if you fill the memory with one

cycle and it is shorter than the run time it just repeats?

I think the wavegen is doing what I want, I need to try looping it back and see what I get on the scope.

I was not getting reasonable results the first time when I was not using the wavegen correctly.  Going

to try it now.

I assume math functions are used to do a raised cosine enevelope - I think I can figure that out.  In this

case I assume that I'd put say 10 cycles of 1KHz in the memory, then muliply it by a 50 Hz cosine to

get just the first half?  Then use the timers to repeat?  This type of signal makes an interesting test

for speakers.

Thanks very much,  Pete B.

I tried looking at this with the scope and I'm thinking that perhaps the scope memory depth is not enough

to have a high sampling rate.  

I changed the parameters to wait 9.9s run for .1s in order to have 100 cycles, and I counted 25

in the burst viewed on the scope.  I can't seem to find how to change the trigger position in the

memory.  I'll read the manual.

Thanks again.

Archived