missing Zybo SD card definition

Notarobot

Question

Hello to all,

While considering to use SD card socket integrated into the Zybo board I've noticed that its definition (package constraints) was not included into the board files. 

I guess that I can try to add it by myself or ask Digilent to be kind and add it. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the software used to generate the XML file. Perhaps it can be done in Vivado?

Please, advise me on that.

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

Hi Notarobot,

I have passed your request to add the Micro SD card to the board files on to the appropriate people. Currently the simplest way to constrain the SD card would be to use an xdc file. You can refer to the reference manual here section 7 MicroSD slot to know what pins to constrain.

cheers,

Jon

The SD card is connected to the Zynq's MIO pins so you do not need to constrain anything.

The MIO pins are defined in the Zynq Processing System's configuration - in the IP block you define of the pins are used for for what function (e.g. Serial, Ethernet, SPI...)

The MIO pins have fixed pin assignments on the Chip's package, so no XDC entries are needed - you just need to define the MIO settings to match the board's layout. Here is the screen you want to look for (although this is NOT correctly configured for the Zybo!):

Screenshot%20from%202015-03-07%2013:10:5

Hi, Hamster

This was confusing for me. Thank you for clarification.

I'd like to use PmodSD IP on embedded microSD card instead on Pmod connector. At this time just for prototyping. Initial intent was to define MIO41-47 pins the same way as Pmod, let say JB connector exposing SD for the diagramming. This would allow for very simple intergration the PmodSD IP into the system diagram and etc.

However at this moment I can't find clear solution which does not involve manual rewriting configuration files. Hope to hear suggestions from experts with experience. I am very new to Vivado and Zynq. My past experience was mostly pure VHDL projects in ISE and on Actel FPGA with absolutely different software tools.

Thank you for reading and ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Update: I just discovered that Xilinx included support for SD cards into SDK and no HDL code is needed for using microSD card on Zybo only enabling the SD0 on MIO 41-45. Under these circumstances using PmodSD code does not make sense, thus, any further effort in this direction.

Thank you all for reading and response!

Archived