JTAG-USB versus JTAG-HS2

paulcorr

Question

We have been using the JTAG-USB for years, and need to purchase a couple more programmers. Should we be considering the JTAG-HS2 instead? It seems to do everything the JTAG-USB does, but with a faster programming rate. We typically create SVF files using iMPACT, and then use Adept on the production floor to do the programming of Xilinx XC9572XL CPLDs. The JTAG-USB works fine, but if the JTAG-HS2 will program faster, but still works essentially the same, it would be worth trying.

Also, any comments regarding the upcoming JTAG-HS3 in the context of this question?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

3 answers to this question

No, you shouldn't consider using any of theJTAG-HS2, JTAG-HS3 to program the Xilinx XC9572XL CPLDs as the cables are incomatible with Xilinx 9500/9500XL CPLDs . 
(HS2 and HS3 are similar to HS1)

If you need to program  Xilinx 9500/9500XL CPLDs, you should use Xilinx cable XUP USB-JTAG Programming Cable http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,395,716&Prod=XUP-USB-JTAG

Thanks cfatu for the reply. I will order some more of the JTAG-USB cables. We have used them many years without problems, probably better not to introduce a variable into production anyway.

However, is the issue with the cable or the capability of the programmer itself? I understand the cable may be different, but that can be handled with an adapter. I don't intend to use the JTAG-HS2, but for clarity, ignoring the cable interface, I would like to know if the JTAG-HS2 can program a XC9572XL?

Archived