Powering WF32 through USB - seems dead

bletweaker

Question

6 answers to this question

Your computer should (in theory) automatically download the FTDI driver that is required to interface the WF32 board with your computer. But before we get into that, lets check a couple of things first before we get too far ahead.

What type of computer are you using? Windows, Mac, etc?

When the board is first powering up, you should see some strong pulses on LD1/LD2 (as you already mentioned eariler) as well as LD3 being constantly lit up for about 2 seconds while LD6 flashes on and off during that time. Are these LED's lighting up on your board? 

Thanks,

JColvin

Yeah, that jumper is a little weird. The UART connector on JP1 allows power to flow from the USB-mini connector to the board, which is labeled as both UART and J1. The USB option on JP1 allows the board to draw power from the bit Type-A usb connector that flash drives fit into. So you would use whichever jumper setting you plan on powering your board from (the barrel jack or one of the two USB connectors)

As for the LEDs, the fact that LED 3 and LED 6 are lighting up shows that your board has the bootloader on it, so we're good in that respect. The LEDs 1 and 2 would be representative of RX and TX which the computer utilizes through the USB port when programming/communicating with the chipKIT. This isn't my field of expertise, but I agree with you that you'll need the correct drive installed. I would first try installing the one that comes with MPIDE. The installation application should be in: "mpide-0023-windows-whatever_version_you_have/drivers/chipKIT_Drivers" with the chipKITDriverInstallerApplication_v10 I believe.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

JColvin

Archived