KevinS

Analog Discovery 1 Hardware Fault Low Frequency Harmonics

Question

My trusty AD 1 seems to have developed a fault. If I connect the AD to the USB and run Waveforms and use the spectrum view I see some peaks at 13.02kHz, 26.04kHz, 39.06kHz on channel 2 that are not present on channel 1 and are not present on a different AD unit that I have. The units are both Rev C. Take a look at the attached screen capture. There is another peak at 52kHz but this is down in the noise.

I have also noticed that if I generate a signal on the AWG2 with no external connections, say 50kHz, this then appears on the spectrum of the channel 2 input. If I do the same with AWG1, then nothing appears on either channel. Perhaps there is some connection between these 2 issues.

Unfortunately I am looking at some small signals in the audio band and these peaks are getting in the way. I suspect that I may have somehow damaged channel 2 in the past and not realised. Does any one have any ideas where to look in the unit? I have some of the schematic from the documentation.

Thanks,

Kevin

2017-02-08 14_57_21-WF1 - Spectrum Analyzer 1.png

Edited by KevinS

4 answers to this question

Hello,

In case the scope inputs are floating, not connected to anything, it can capture any internal or external signal.

Try shorting the 2+ and 2- to ground, see if these components are still present.

Here Wavegen 1 and 2  is set to generate 20/30kHz 10V pk2pk signal. Trace 1 is the capture with floating inputs, trace 2 with shorted inputs:i1.png

Thanks for the reply. I've tried it with the inputs shorted and it makes no difference to the frequency or amplitude of the 13kHz harmonics. It does however prevent pick-up from the AWGs so unfortunately it looks like I have a hardware fault somewhere on channel 2.

On the PCB the Scope channel 2 is closer to the AWG. I see crosstalk of 0.1% only when scope input is not connected to anything.

I can't imagine any hardware fault except some dirt between AWG 2 and scope channel 2 + input.
i1.png

I've given the board a visual inspection and clean and it has made no difference. If I spray some freezer spray on IC11 the 26kHz peak disappears. Not sure what to do next other than mark channel 2 as U/S :-(

Kevin