Windows 10 not recognizing CMOD-A7

GeoffE

Question

Hi,

I have just purchased a Diligent CMOD-A7 FPGA development board (Artix-7 35T) - and a Diligent Programming Cable JTAG HS3.

Upon plugging the cable into the dev board and into my Windows-10 (64 bit) machine, the Device Manager registers the new device as a "Microsoft Serial BallPoint" (under Mice and other pointing devices).   Huh ??

How do I get Windows to recognize the board correctly - so that I can start downloading programs via Vivado ?

I hope to hear something soon.

Thanks,

Geoff

6 answers to this question

Hi hamster,

Thank you for your assistance, however the patch suggested by the "cable drivers with Vivado under windows 10" link did not work.    A copy of the log file is included below (since attaching this small file causes an error - no idea why).

The CMOD-A7 still appears under Windows Device Manager as "Microsoft Serial Ballpoint".   

I have attempted this patch twice, and rebooted the system each time after execution - without success.

What else can I do to get Windows to recognize the CMOD-A7 (as seen in the Device Manager) as something that Vivado will be able to download to ?

I hope to hear something soon.

Thanks,

Geoff

----------------- INSTALL.LOG -----------------

WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:21:54
WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:21:54
Driver Installer - Version 1.22
Already in the installer executable location.
DriverInstaller->OS Version = Windows NT and later.
 Major Version = 6, Minor Version = 2, SP = 0.
User is in the admin group.
number of applications using Windriver = 1.
number of connected devices = 0.
number of applications using Windriver = 1.
number of connected devices = 0.
Installing WinDriver6...
 wdreg exepath=C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\wdreg.exe.
 install command=C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\wdreg.exe -silent -inf C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\windrvr6.inf install.
 Installer exit code = 0.
 wdreg exepath=C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\wdreg.exe.
 install command=C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\wdreg.exe -silent -inf C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\xusbdrvr.inf install.
 Installer exit code = 0.
DriverInstaller->ImagePath=\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys.
 File version of C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys is 1041.
 File version of C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\xpc4drvr.sys is 1041.
 File version of C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys is 1041.
 Driver xpc4drvr.sys version = 1.0.4.1.
DriverInstaller->XilinxPC4Driver is running.
Driver installation successful.
InstallPath="C:\Xilinx-2016-4\Vivado\2016.4\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\"
Running digilent installer...

<<<<< Digilent Adept Runtime Setup >>>>>
Installer version: 1.4.6 release: 2015/12/08
Digilent Software Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent

Your system is up-to-date with the components of this installer.
Driver status 1 = "0"
Driver status 2 = "0"

Hi again,

I have just plugged the USB cable into the JTAG-HS3 adaptor - and Windows 10 recognizes the cable as a "Port (COM & LPT)"   and denotes it as "USB Serial Port COM3".

Since the cable is working, and has been correctly recognized by Windows, I can only assume that the CMOD-A7-35T is faulty - so I will return it.

Geoff

If you haven't already done an RMA, now that the cable drivers are installed can you remove the mouse device while the CMOD ins't plugged in, then plug it in so it can detect it again?

To do this Start a CMD prompt as administrator, run:

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

DEVMGMT.MSC

Then in device manager select the "View/Show hidden devices" menu item. You should then be able to remove the mouse device. Then plug the CMOD in and see what happens.

This will allow the driver autodetect to run while the new cable drivers are installed.

(see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-non-present-devices-windows for a better walkthrough of the process)

It is also a way you can get rid of all the old USB COM ports that are left behind by DevBoards past... and disk devices from old USB drivers.

Hi hamster,

I have been working with Bianca to try to resolve this issue.    The conclusion of all our testing is that Bianca will now approve the RMA request.

The CMOD-A7 has been tested on both Win10 64-bit and Win8.1 64-bit machines - with the same faulty operation  (even after reloading the EEPROM).

I have also received (this morning) a Digilent "Arty" Board for testing purposes. I plugged this board into the same USB cable and it was immediately recognized by Windows10 Device Manager as "COM6".   with no instability.  I have started Vivado-2016.4 and opened the Hardware Manager.  The software correctly detected the XC7A35T FPGA on the "Arty" board correctly and has been correctly monitoring the XADC (internal temp of the FPGA) without any instability.

Conclusion:   The CMOD-A7 board is faulty.    I wish to RMA this board (which was purchased through Digikey).

Regards,

Geoff

Archived