Nexys 4, Vivado 2014.4: No hardware targets exist on the server (Ubuntu 12.04)

bertoloti

Question

Hello, I have Vivado 2014.4 installed on Ubuntu 12.04 (64bits). I have a Nexys 4 Digilent Board (Artix 7) connected to the PC through a USB cable but in the Hardware session I'm unable to connect to target. I get this error message:

WARNING: [Labtoolstcl 44-26] No hardware targets exist on the server [localhost]
Check to make sure the cable targets connected to this machine are properly connected
and powered up, then use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server commands
to re-register the hardware targets.

Running the lsusb command in a terminal, the USB-UART IC of the board seems to be recognized:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC

I also tried installing Adept but when I run the "djtgcfg enum" command I get: "No devices found".

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

14 answers to this question

Hello,

Please be sure you check "Install Cable Drivers" on the Installation Options group of Vivado installer. 

I've been able to obtain the same error when installing Vivado without this option, and avoided it when installing with "Install Cable Drivers" checked.

My suggestion is to uninstall Vivado asn re-install.

Or you can install drivers manually as explained here http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54381.html

For some reasons I am unable to attach files larger than 19.95 kb so I can't attach images.

Hi bertoloti,

I'm not sure if this is your issue, but presuming you're connected to the micro-usb port on the Nexys 4, do you have the jumper block on JP1 set on the middle two pins? I think should allow you to program (and hopefully have the computer recognize) your device. 

Thanks,

JColvin

Hi JColvin,

I tried both ways, with the jumper JP1 set in the middle and on the left with the same negative result. Either way, I found this in the Nexys 4 board Manual:

"You can perform JTAG programming any time after the Nexys4 has been powered on, regardless of what the mode jumper (JP1) is set to"

Thanks.

Hello,

Please be sure you check "Install Cable Drivers" on the Installation Options group of Vivado installer. 

I've been able to obtain the same error when installing Vivado without this option, and avoided it when installing with "Install Cable Drivers" checked.

My suggestion is to uninstall Vivado asn re-install.

Or you can install drivers manually as explained here http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54381.html

For some reasons I am unable to attach files larger than 19.95 kb so I can't attach images.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I will tried to installed the cable drivers manually and if it does not work, I will re-install Vivado and make sure the "Install Cable Drivers" is checked.

I will let you know when I finished trying this.

Thanks

Hi Nexys4,

I apologize for for the delay in responding. I would personally try using a different USB cable and/or different USB port (avoid using a USB hub) on your computer to help ensure that the FPGA has a good, clean connection.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi guys,

I have 2 Nexys 4 ddr boards, one of them (board no.1) had damaged 3.3V voltage regulator another one (board no.2) working fine.

I  pass the 3.3V from board no.2 to no.1, and then I able to programming bit stream with USB and micro SD, but vivado not able to detect the device.

Because of damaged 3.3V voltage regulator on board no.1, the power good signal always de-asserted. Is this the reason why vivado can't detect the device? Any solution to recover my board no.1?

Hi @jpeyron,

Sorry for late reply, I don't think I had used power supply above 5V on this board, but I agreed on you that IC 17 had broken. 

But instead of replace it, I removed R246 and used a 3.3V external power supply pass to the plated through hole (refer to red rectangle on attached image).
By using this way I manage to write the bit-stream to the FPGA through microSD and USB. But I can't write the bit-stream through vivado via micro-USB and also can't configure memory device (FL128SAIF00, IC11) on the board. Is there any alternate solution beside than replace IC17?

Thank. 

edaeee26-4603-48fc-bd84-c602854e5373.jpg

Archived