I find it both amusing and inspiring how quickly the Kickstarter got funded in just a few hours! Alas, where do you plan on going from here? What sorts of stretch-goals will there be, if any? I would imagine you won't be upgrading the hardware, so as not to cannibalize the market from your other products, but what else is there? Improvements to the software? Nah, those will happen eventually anyway, not a good stretch-goal. Stickers with Digilent-logo or something, like certain companies did with their Kickstarter stretch-goals? Meh, I'd rather like to see something actually useful.

@werecatf

YES. We are also in awe of how quickly it happened! It's a completely different way of doing instrumentation for us, so we weren't a 100% sure how it would take with the market. 

Any suggestions for stretch goals will be VERY appreciated. We are trying to brainstorm over here. 

re: Hardware--- we made it open source, so people could upgrade the hardware and share the improvements! There could be an upgraded one, but right now, we are focusing on the one we have! We also don't want to jeopardize the ship date. Hardware changes = longer ship date. 

Completely agree about the usefulness... We hate throwing silly things in boxes just for the sake of it.

Thoughts so far:

1. If we hit 30K, we could afford to splurge for an injection mold for cases and include cases in the first round. 

2. we have project boxes that we usually ship with our student kits. We could include one of those for free. 

3. We could get USB battery packs, so the Open Scope is free to roam?

Well, it has good-enough specs to actually be somewhat useful and the price-point is low enough to make it a good fit in a beginner's toolkit, like e.g. mine, so it's not really that surprising it took off so well. Then there's also the whole open-source aspect you guys decided to go for: many a good tool is being held back by poor-quality proprietary software, so being able to fix any possible shortcomings is going to appeal to anyone who's gotten burned by proprietary stuff.

Now, personally, I see this as being an extremely good fit for a beginner/less-experienced user, and as such I would think a stretch-goal with that in mind would be nice. I, for example, would benefit from something educational getting tossed in. USB-battery packs are a dime a dozen everywhere, even small gas stations carry those nowadays, so that seems less useful. Including a case, on the other hand, would possibly piss off the people who pledged already for the case..

Yeah... I think the mini-grabbers would be helpful (get a good grip on your circuits). 

Mini_Grabbers_use2_600__31004.1448321147

The other is a SD Card (good for loading and the logging) ... or a USB cable? We didn't include one because it was such a dime a dozen thing and would affect cost.

This is just an idea, but maybe the backers who pledged for a case by itself or an OpenScope with a case can get it personalized in some way (or maybe have it say "proud Kickstater backer" or something similar), and everybody else gets generic cases instead?

I'm not directly involved with this project so I don't know if there's a difference between the injection molding and 3D printing of the cases or how difficult it would be to personalize the cases and the time constraints that would be placed on such an endeavor. 

@WereCatf, what were you envisioning for the educational aspect? Learning materials or some physical components to play with? My concern with either of those is that it would mesh a lot with the Learning Edition backer level.

2 hours ago, JColvin said:

@WereCatf, what were you envisioning for the educational aspect? Learning materials or some physical components to play with? My concern with either of those is that it would mesh a lot with the Learning Edition backer level.

I ain't got anything specific in mind. For now, I'm just throwing spaghetti at the fridge and seeing if any of it sticks!

Sorry about that; Digilent is closed on the weekends so the appropriate people on the Kickstarter project (not me) probably didn't get the opportunity to collaborate in the midst of our other daily tasks. That and I think Digilent is in the awkward position of trying a Kickstarter for the very first time for our first open source scope, but having it be way more successful than we anticipated.

I would like to think that a logical choice for a stretch goal would be to "upgrade" each backer level with something that is either the same across all of them or somehow appropriately tiered, but that isn't useless (which we all agree on in this thread), reasonably expected to come over time (software improvements), or drastically change shipping times (hardware changes). Perhaps the last one could be done if the change and timing "was right", but I don't have any idea what that might be. 

But those are all my random thoughts as somebody not in on the project, but interested in it and wanting to see it succeed. I'll see if I can come up with some fun (hopefully not too cheesy) things that could be done that make sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived