Spartand 3E Starter Board LCD P/N

drp

Question

I am trying to incorporate the Xilinx FPGA along with the LCD however after reviewing the starter kits schematics I cannot find a specific P/N for "DISP1" (the LCD).  I would like to use the same part that is on the development board.  Can someone please advise me or the correct P/N for this LCD?  If I am missing the P/N within the schematic if you could lead me to it, it would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

http://store.digilentinc.com/spartan-3e-starter-board-limited-time/

4 answers to this question

Hello,

When the documentation for Spartan 3E was created about 10 years back, it was not deemed necessary at the time to list what LCD screen was on the board (a Okaya RC1602, pn LCD-RC1602-D), since it was a fairly standard LCD screen with a display controller compatible with the Hitachi controller Dan mentioned. The exact display controller has and the compatible display controllers are listed on page 43 of the Xilinx user guide for that board here. As Digilent is a different company now, we're trying to make sure we list the relevant p/n's for that sort of embedded component. Naturally, we won't be able to release everything that's on our boards, but for things like displays or DDR chips, we can make sure you get the information you need.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Dan, thank you for your response and the fact that the HD44780U set the standard for the character controllers.  Per the design you suggested they use the 16x2 LCD but there is no mention of the specific P/N.  Is there a reason why their documentation does not specify which LCD they are using?  I realized there are compatible replacements, but I am specifically interested in the P/N of the LCD that is used on the Diligent 3E Starter Board.  Can you please advise if my request of off base relative to Diligent?  Thank you.

To you and Dan, thank you very much.  I am just anticipating someone on my end driving to ground whether or not the exact P/N was an option in lieu of the other compatible options.  I understand and did not think requesting the LCD P/N would violate anything proprietary.  Thank you for your responses!

Archived