ChipKit CMOD watchdog & lockup

shivensys

Question

Hello,

I am using a chipKIT CMOD design and can successfully run the watchdog timer code provided my Majenko.  My problem is that I occasionally get a nasty burst of electrical noise from a motor that completely freezes up the board.  The 8MHz oscillator continues to run, and it resets correctly with a power cycle.  Is there a mode that would prevent the watchdog from resetting the system?

Thanks in advance

Patrick

7 answers to this question

Yes, I am able to put the part to sleep, and in this case the WDT does reboot the system when it times out.  When I take the watchdog timer code out of the system the sleep command stays asleep forever.  This is interesting because I read elsewhere that you need a special build of the bootloader to have the WDT take you out of sleep but I am using the stock CMOD bootloader.

I read elsewhere that if the bootloader was built in debug mode that there are exception traps that can cause it to hang like this, could that be the problem?  I am not sure how to determine that.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Hopefully I will understand this lockup better and can update the forum with the results.  From what I can tell the watchdog library is working perfectly and there is something else happening.  

Can anyone point me to the CMOD boot loader source so that I can make modifications?

Patrick

Archived